In a massive, mysterious chamber, fifty strangers awaken to find themselves trapped with no memory of how they got there. Every two minutes, one of them must die... Executed by an electrical pulse generated from a source within the chamber. At first the attacks seem random, but, soon the strangers realize that they, as a group, have the power to decide who will be the next to be killed: by the power of the vote. Mob mentality at its finest hour. A chance to control the machine. How will they choose who deserves to die? What happens when there's only one person left? "Circle" is a film about humanity. How we value one another and how people react when they are forced to make decisions under the worst possible circumstances. It's a film that speaks to the very core of what makes us human - Who we are, what we believe and ultimately, the lengths we will go to in which to save ourselves.
Director: Aaron Hann, Mario Miscione
Writer: Aaron Hann, Mario Miscione
Production: Taggart Productions
Released: 16 Oct 2015
Awards: 1 nomination.
Movie Video Clips
- What is this? I don't know. Where are we? Where do you think? Hello?
- - Oh, my god! - It's all right, okay? - It's all right. You're okay. - Help! Help! Just calm down! - John! - You're fine. Where are you?
- I think so. Jesus Christ. What was that? I don't know.
- Oh, shit. What the fuck? - What? - Everyone freeze! - Oh, my god. - They can see if we move.
- Stand still, and we'll be fine.
- Don't lift your feet off the ground. And don't touch anyone.
- Where's that coming from? Quiet!
- Okay, now. Calm down. Calm down. It's no use! Susan.
- - Everybody calm down! - No. - We need to calm down. - Everybody! Calm the fuck down!
- Just... just think! Breathe.
- Here we go. Everybody shut up for one second! Does anybody know what the hell's going on? They're killing us. No, it's not them. Are you guys seeing this? The lights on the floor... You see t
- What did they do to us? I think they messed with our hands. What does that mean? - It's us. - Us? What do you mean? We're choosing who dies.
- - Fuck! - What happened?! Somebody did it. Nobody fucking do anything, okay? Well, it's not working, you see? We have to try something. Nobody do it!! Okay.
- God damn it! - What the hell? - What is wrong with you people? All of us, we're gonna die! All of us, we're gonna die! We're all fucked!
- Oh, my god. This is unbelievable. It's a vote. What? We're voting. Look, they're killing whoever gets the most votes. How do you know that? Because the chimes go off when you close your hands
- You guys picked the wrong person. - No, we didn't. - Guys, it just doesn't work. But why him? Maybe he got the secondmost votes. Or the most so far? We have to try something. No, iit's not gon
- Oh, my god. Okay, nobody move! Just everybody let's ride this out.
- If we don't choose, it chooses on its own. Somebody needs to do something! This is not working, obviously. - When you said that... - Everybody quiet! Now, there is no reason for us all to just
- Look. So there's about a minute or two between each round. - That's not a lot of time. - Yeah, no shit. Maybe if we spend less time worrying about who's gonna die next and more time trying to
- We'll start with him, go clockwise after that. 1, 2, 3... Now wait a minute. 4, 5, 6. That should buy us 10 minutes. No, no, no. There has to be another way. You have a better idea?
- We're sorry. It's the only way. But I have just as much of a right to live as any of you. You've lived your life, old man.
- So, what happened? - I was pulled up. - Into the ship? I don't know. Tractor beam? Fuck. So are we in the ship now? Do you think there are - other people doing this? - Other circles? They wou
- Come on. Anybody! Yeah! Yeah. I do. - You? - Yeah. I remember the... the red room. And I-I saw him. And I saw them. Well, what did they look like? Well, they were big and black... dark gr
- You see? He's full of shit. I swear I'm telling the truth. Just give me some time to think. It's a trick. Don't believe him. It's coming back to me. It's coming back... numbers. I remember nu
- Now, where were we? Wait. Who's next in line?
- Her... with the hat. Who, me? Yeah. How old are you? - That's not old. - Old enough. Hey, we said 70 or 80, not 50. What's the difference? That's a big difference. Come on, lady. You're not
- Chemotherapy. I had cancer. Aren't you supposed to be bald, then? What kind of cancer? Breast cancer. So you're dying, then? No. It's in remission. I'm better now. You sure? Yeah. I beat i
- I'm just trying to help. Fuck you.
- Listen. We can't be afraid to talk to each other in here. It's the only way we're gonna figure out how to stop this. Come on, man. We're not gonna stop this. - We're just fucked. - We don't kn
- Maybe we should figure out why they chose us. Chose us? Yeah. Why they picked us to be in here. It was a giant space vacuum, right? I don't think we were handpicked. Yeah, he's right. This
- Uh, yeah. I'll go first. Hi, I'm Beth.
- Um, I live in woodland hills, California, but originally I'm from Richmond, Virginia... Born and raised. I've worked in human resources for the past 11 years. Um, I just kind of fell into it.
- Anyway, ii just wanted to ask everyone, respectfully, please don't vote for my wife. You can vote for me, but, please, just spare my wife.
- No, everyone will take that into consideration. Okay, thanks.
- Uh, okay. Um, uh. You go next. Come on, go. Hey. Do you speak English?
- Oh, well, he's gone. It's okay. I speak Spanish. We don't need a fucking translator. Yeah, I'm sorry, but he's right. It's a waste of time. No, it's not. Señor.
- What's he saying? See? It's already wasting time. No, it's not. We're all human beings. Yeah, we all count the same in here. We shouldn't kill someone else over someone who can't even contrib
- Ah, see? Come on. It doesn't matter. Sure it does! This guy was probably hanging out in front of the home depot - with 20 other illegal aliens. - Whatever. Look, while the rest of us were ru
- Recognize anyone else? No, I don't think so. Yeah, anybody else? Unpaid parking tickets? - What if that's important? - Huh? Like, maybe we're supposed to figure out who's good and who's bad.
- Well, we should at least consider it. Consider what? What she means is... Who deserves to live?
- Okay. Based on what? Based on everything. Morals and values, what you have or haven't done in life. I think we need to put it all out there. Yeah, and we've got plenty of time standing around
- Hey, hey, um... I got an idea. How about we, uh... How about we kill all the black people next, yeah? What are you talking about? Don't play the race card, man. This is all just fucking chance.
- What? You want some reparations, too?
- I mean, Jesus Christ. Give me a fucking break around here...
- Hey, everybody. Vote for yourself. How-how do we do that? You can't vote for yourself. It doesn't let us. All right, then, everybody vote for the person to your right, then. The living person.
- 8, 7, 5, 4... 3, 2, 1. - What the fuck? - Damn it! - It didn't work. - Ohh! - What happened? - We screwed up. - All right, let's try it again. - It won't work! They thought of everything! D
- Sweetie, do you see the arrow? This arrow... you're gonna pick that arrow, okay? Okay. No, we're all gonna be okay. I promise, okay?
- - Come on! - No! It's a tie. Everyone vote again!
- What the fuck just happened? - They tied. - How? We all got the same number of votes, right? No, we didn't. How do you know? - 'Cause I voted for him. - What? What are you... Why would you do
- It's a game. It's a process of elimination. The last man standing gets to walk out of here alive. Or woman. Why would they do that? I don't know, but between the kid and the pregnant girl, I'
- If we get rid of them, we'll all have a better chance.
- You know what? If he's right, and one of us do get to walk out of here, it should be one of them. Why's that? 'Cause it's common sense. People, come on. Things are different in here. Women an
- It's okay. It's okay. It's gonna be okay.
- No! No! - Oh, come on, come on, come on! - Don't do anything! They'll both die. We have to know what happens.
- What is wrong with you people? She's just a kid. Why would you go after her? One of them has to die. We need to decide. - No, we don't. - Listen, we should just leave them out of this for as l
- Just kill them both! Just fucking kill them...
- What about volunteers? - What? - Volunteers? - Are you nuts? - I don't know. Maybe someone wants to step forward.
- - Why? - Now, wait a minute. He doesn't have to tell you or anybody else why. He's volunteered. That's enough. Well, I want to know why. Lady, it's none of your business. Hey! Let him answer
- Whoa. Well, uh, this is gonna be a whole lot easier if we can get a few volunteers. Easier for who? You? Look, we got to take control of this situation. And this is the best way. I mean, hey,
- You're a fucking hero, kid. You know that? Yeah, right. No, I'm serious. Look, if I make it out of here, I'm naming my next kid after you.
- - Thanks, Scott. - Thank you, Scott.
- Fucking assholes. You knew his name was Shaun! Whatever. The kid's a hero. Yeah, he bought us two minutes. Somebody toss him a purple heart. All right, enough.
- What? What are you looking at me for?
- Oh, you think it should be me?
- I was in Afghanistan for the past 2 years risking my life to keep the rest of you safe. I just got back 2 days ago.
- I was on my way to see my family.
- I got a 7 month old who doesn't even know who I am.
- My wife... I haven't seen my wife in...
- I'm not fucking dying in here. I'm not.
- I'm going home to them. Don't worry... I'm not voting for you. Me, neither. Yeah, we're... we're gonna get out of here, man. Yeah, sure we are. Come on, man. No, you come on, man. He knows the
- You're gonna die, dude. We all are. Time is, uh, running out. Yeah, we still need a volunteer. Anybody.
- My son, Oscar... He passed away last year.
- He was riding... His motorcycle.
- You'll see him again. You think? Absolutely. Okay. I go in peace.
- Bye, everybody. - Goodbye. - Goodbye.
- I'm not calling anybody idiots, all right? All I'm saying is this... If there is a god, is this something... Does this seem like he would allow this? Is this something he would do? You fuckers
- Looks like god just cut you a break. Yeah. For another 2 fucking minutes.
- I think we should take into account if people have families, children. Why? How many kids do you have? I have 7. Of course you do. - Yeah, I got 12. - Yeah, I got 26. Oh, now, now, come on,
- How old are you? What, me? 35, but I have a kid. - Just one child? - Yeah, a daughter. - You married? - Yes. What does your husband do? I don't... uh... You don't what? Why the sudden intere
- Still waiting. I raised my four younger siblings during my father's heroin addiction and my mother's clinical depression, then attended vassar under a workstudy scholarship before serving in
- So, you're a lesbian. Yeah, so, what? It doesn't make any difference. That's not necessarily true. Dude, so she's gay. Big deal... what's the matter? What, you think it's okay for a child to be
- Doesn't that mean something? We've all sinned. Yes, but some more than others. I mean, maybe that's the whole point of this thing. Maybe if we figure out who the sinner is amongst us, that mayb
- My son's gay. And there's not a damn thing wrong with him. What if he had a point? Just drop it already. No, no. Not about the gay stuff. I mean, what if one of us dies... The one they want.
- Shit, they would tie. And they would both die. No, no, no. Not necessarily. One person doesn't have to vote. Wait, what? - A sacrifice. - Yes. What does that mean? It means that if it comes do
- What if it comes down to the two of them? Well, then, they'll have to decide. Or we can decide for them.
- You should have never married that asshole. I know. Together.
- What happened? - They tied. - How romantic. I thought if no one voted, it chose randomly. Not in a tie, I guess. See? They both can't live. That means one of them has to go. They're not goin
- What do you do? - What? - Oh, come on, man. Hey, it's a fair question. What do you mean, like, for work? Yeah. Of course it'd be the guy in the sweater vest to start this class bullshit, righ
- Look, he's... we're waiting. You're waiting for what? For him to get out of prison? Oh, come on! He's not in jail. Okay, so, what does he do for a living then? Enough with the inquisition.
- Well, what do you do? - I work for a bank. - Of course you do.
- - What do we do? - No one's voting for them - this round, okay? - Yeah, yeah, yeah, we said the guy who doesn't speak any English. He can't help us now, so, once he's gone, we can all discuss
- You all know what needs to be done! Yeah, vote for the kid! It's the only chance that we have!
- Aah! God... damn it!! You're fucking pathetic man. You'd kill a kid to save your own life. Yeah, that's right. I want to live... just like you. No, not just like me. I wouldn't do that. Oh, y
- All right, make them tie again. They'll both die. - That's fair. - What?! He's right. We'll take that trade. What?! What are you doing?! Don't do it! She's just a kid! Jesus Christ. Aah!
- Fuck. What just happened? You lost, assholes. Fuck you. - Why didn't they tie? - Yeah, it doesn't make sense. Why did they tie the first time and not the second? 'Cause somebody changed their
- It was you? I mean, yes, but... Why'd you switch? I didn't. All right, I just didn't vote the second time. I couldn't. I'm sorry. Right, because you're a good person. Hey, stay out of this,
- You want to live, right? Yeah.
- - But I don't... - Want to kill a little kid. It's okay. Fine, everybody vote for the guy with one arm. Oh, please, man. No, no, no, listen, listen, if we get rid of him, it'll even things out
- All right, what the hell just happened? What does that mean? It means the tables have turned, bitch. People are starting to see things clearly. Who did that? G.I. Joe next... He's the leader
- What? He wants to protect her? Let's put him to the test. Hey, hey, hey, just wait a minute, okay? Everybody do it. He'll switch. No, wait! Give me a second. Be reasonable, man. I am being re
- Come on, please. Oh, fuck! Okay! Yes, I'll switch! - Fucking pick someone else! - Wait! Wait! Wait! All right, everybody vote for the black guy. - Wait, what?! - Okay. Fuck y'all, man!
- Of course. True love conquers all. You're out of options, my friend. Yeah, well, you all just killed yourselves. Congratulations, you, you, you, you all did this! And you... You just killed y
- You're probably not even married. What? I mean, think about it. What are the odds of them being the only married couple in here? Those other two knew each other. - So they said. - That's not
- What? What is your husband's name?
- He already said his name. That's right. He did. When? The first time he spoke, he said his name.
- Just drop it, man, okay? What's... his name?
- She doesn't know. Of course she doesn't. Yes, of course, she does. She's just not gonna play your fucking games. Let's put them in a tie and see what happens? - What? - If they're married, th
- Okay... we made it up. - But it was her fucking idea! - What? Yeah, yeah. I just went along with it. No, he said it first. I had nothing to do with it. Oh, come on! She's a liar! Look at her!
- Why are you crying? Just shut the fuck up, all right? You shouldn't have lied to us. I didn't lie. Yes, you did. You said you were married. I am married. Just not to him, and I do have a daugh
- We all did. But listen, you still have a chance to make it out of here. There's 11 of us left. We just need 6 votes. If you join our side, i promise I will keep you alive. Don't listen to him.
- How about you? What side are you on?
- What, you don't speak? Okay, he doesn't want to tell us who he's voting for. And that's fine. I understand that. Nobody wants to make enemies in here. I'm gonna go ahead and say that he's on ou
- You have a daughter, don't you? - What's her name? - Chloe. That's a beautiful name... Chloe. You want to see her again? Obviously. - And your partner? - Wife.
- - Amelia. - Chloe and Amelia. Do you want to see both of them again?
- I'm sorry. Hey, wait a minute. - Wait a minute. - Hey, that's 5. We just need 1 more. Come on, people... one more. Who are we voting for? The army guy. No! Pick somebody else. - Uh, the cancer
- What do we do? It's... it's okay. It's okay. Okay, there's, uh, 7 of us left. All we need is 4. 1, 2, 3... Is it a boy or a girl?
- I don't know. Don't you want to find out?
- Yes, of course, I do. All it takes is one vote. It's really that simple... Just once. No, no, please. Please. - Please. - No, no, I won't do it. - I will not do it. - Well, then you're killin
- No, don't! Yes! Jesus Christ! Thank you, Jesus! That... Okay, so it's, uh, it's 3 to 3. There's no way you can protect them now. Yeah? Okay, well, we'll see about that. You realize that it
- So be it. Are you volunteering? If I go, you go.
- Okay, um, how about this? I'll make you a deal. You give me one of them, and I'll give you her. - What? - A trade.
- Which one do you want? Either one... Doesn't matter to me. What?! What are you doing? Okay, deal. Deal. You get the little girl, I get the phony wife. The 3 of us will vote for her. The 3 of
- Okay, it's your turn. Go. Hey, go. It's your turn. - What are you doing? It's your turn! - What are you doing? - Come on, man, vote! - Hurry! What are you doing? Vote for the kid! Are you nu
- Jesus Christ. Why didn't you vote? Because he doesn't vote. - Never has, not once. - What? He's never even said a word, never voted, and he's made it all this way. Dumb fucking luck. Maybe.
- - Maybe it was no accident. - What are you talking about? I think that there's a reason why he's still alive. Yeah, because he's been hiding, hoping we wouldn't notice him. Well, guess what, bud
- So you made all that up? No, no. He's never voted. I don't think so, at least. That, and he's never said a world... I mean, not that I can remember.
- I don't think he wants to give them anything. We've already given them enough.
- Do you want us to vote for you?
- He knows we don't have a choice.
- Why are they doing this to us? It's some kind of experiment, i guess. And that's it. Yeah, maybe. I mean, maybe they just wanted to learn about us. Learn what? I don't know. Maybe just to see
- But how do we choose? I don't know. But once I'm gone, 1 of you is gonna have to step forward, otherwise, you'll both die. But you're gonna have to decide for yourselves. I can't do it for you.
- - For the baby, right? - Uh-huh. That's very brave of you. What's your name? Katie. Okay, Katie. We'll go together, okay? Okay. Okay. It has to end this way.
- There's no more time. Do it!
- Of course. All that... All that for nothing? All that. What's the matter, huh? What? I'm not good enough for you? What? I'm not the one that you wanted? I'm exactly the same as everybody els
- We all know that we can't vote for ourselves, right? Well... what do you think happens when we get down to the last person left? It's a game. It's a process of elimination. The last man standi
- Between the kid and the pregnant girl, I'm sure it's most likely gonna come down to one of them in the end.
- You're gonna have to decide for yourselves. I can't do it for you.
The Pregnant Girl - Allegra Masters
Beth - Aimee McKay
The Young Girl - Ashley Key
Woman #4 - Autumn Federici
The Oldest Man - Bill Lewis
Young Man - Brent Stiefel
Guy (as Cameron Connerty) - Cameron Cruz
The College Guy - Carter Jenkins
The Tattooed Man - Cesar Garcia
The African American Man - Coley Speaks
The Rich Man - Daniel Lench
Shaun - Daniel Yelsky
Bruce - David Reivers
The Hispanic Man - David Saucedo
Older Woman #2 - DeMaris Gordon
Man #3 - Emilio Rossal
The Old Woman - Fay DeWitt
Old Man #2 - Floyd Foster Jr.
The Foreign Woman - Gloria Sandoval
The Asian Girl - Han Nah Kim
Howard / Old Man Liar - Howard S. Miller
The Doctor - Jacquelyn Houston
The Teenage Girl - Jamie Lee Redmon
The Panicking Man - Jay Hawkins
The Counting Man - John Edward Lee
The Soldier - Jordi Vilasuso
The Wife - Julie Benz
The Bearded Man - Kaiwi Lyman
Man #1 - Kevin Sheridan
The Deacon - Kurt Long
The Asian Kid - Lawrence Kao
Woman #2 - Leandra Terrazzano
The Cancer Survivor - Lisa Pelikan
The Pilot - Marc Cedric Smith
Woman #1 - Marisol Ramirez
The Husband - Matt Corboy
The Lesbian - Mercy Malick
The Cop - Michael DiBacco
The Lawyer - Michael McLafferty
Eric - Michael Nardelli
The Little Girl - Molly Jackson
The Silent Man - Muneer Katchi
The Muslim Woman - Nasrin Mohammedi
The Translator - Rivka Rivera
The Atheist - Rene Heger
Woman #3 - Rory Uphold
Pretty Girl / Christina - Sara Sanderson
Man #2 - Shane Spalione
The Quiet Woman (as Vijaya Kumari) - Vee Kumari
The One-Armed Man - Zachary James Rukavina
Extra - Esther de Rothschild
Extra - Megan Glass
Extra - A.J. Hudson
Extra - Brian Johnson
Extra - Reuben Liber
Extra - Chrystal Masters