The true story of Desmond T. Doss, the conscientious objector who, at the Battle of Okinawa, was awarded the Medal of Honor for his incredible bravery and regard for his fellow soldiers. We see his upbringing and how this shaped his views, especially his religious view and anti-killing stance. We see Doss's trials and tribulations after enlisting in the US Army and trying to become a medic. Finally, we see the hell on Earth that was Hacksaw Ridge.
Director: Mel Gibson
Writer: Robert Schenkkan (screenplay by), Andrew Knight (screenplay by)
Production: Summit Entertainment
Released: 04 Nov 2016
Awards: Won 2 Oscars. Another 46 wins & 111 nominations.
Movie Video Clips
With the world so set on tearing itself...
Help me get one more
There is only one question that any...
Sons bury their fathers
Most of these men don't believe the same...
All I saw was a skinny kid
Have you not heard
Have you ever roped a goat
After what we've just been tough
I have seen stalks of corn with better...
Now move your privates
It looks much worse than it is
Why stop 'em
Not building a bra
Artie got hit in the back
If you plan on getting wet this weekend
You ever given blood before
Some nut's up there dragging wounded...
You want some morphine
Why does he hate us so much
Is that truly the way it works
I've done everything they asked me
You ain't gonna to eat them
I don't know
- [man] Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the Earth.
- He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom.
- He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
- Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall. But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
- They will soar on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not be faint.
- [echoing] Desmond, hang on! Hang on, Desmond! We're going to get you out of here!
- [boy] Desmond. Desmond! What? - Wait up. - Catch up. Wait up, I've got something to tell you. [panting]
- What, Hal? Race you to the top. [Desmond] Hey! Cheater!
- - See you later, slowpoke. - Hey! [grunting]
- - Sit down! - Ah, you dope! - Quit it. - You quit it. [both laughing] [both shouting]
- [woman] For Pete's sake. [man] Hey! Get away from that ledge, you damn fool kids! - You're going to break your necks! - [both chuckling] [continues shouting] It's them Doss kids. Crazy as their
- They dug up the corner of Jackson and Main... [clicks tongue]
- You boys wouldn't recognize it now.
- Mind you, I doubt they'd recognize you.
- They hardly know me when I walk by 'em.
- It's like we boys never existed.
- Well, that's all I got for you today.
- [groaning] Block him with your right, Desmond. Stop it! Do you hear me? - What are they fighting about? - When'd they ever need a reason? Tom! Ugh! Why stop 'em? Saves me whipping them both. T
- Tom! Wake up, can you hear me? What the hell have you done? [Bertha] He can't hear me.
- - You shift that basket. - I got it. Is he breathing? Hal? Hal, can you hear me?
- Hal... Come on. [Bertha] He's dilated. [Tom] Hal...
- What do you think you're doin'? I'm gonna have to beat you now, you know the rules.
- You hear me, Desmond? - Desmond! - Tom, stop. What's that gonna teach the boy? He's violent enough already. Okay, fine, you go smother him in kisses. You tell him the world's a soft and gentle
- - I could have killed him. - Yes, you could have. Murder, it's the worst sin of all. And to take another man's life, that is the most egregious sin in the Lord's sight. Nothing hurts his heart s
- Why does he hate us so much? Oh, he don't hate us.
- Your daddy tonight, that ain't the real him.
- I wish you knew him like I did, before the war. [choir] ♪ Praise the Lord ♪ Praise the Lord ♪ Let the people rejoice! ♪ Oh, come ♪ To the Father Through Jesus the Son - ♪And give him the glor
- [man 2] Drag him out. Just the tarp. [continues groaning]
- [man 3] I'll phone an ambulance. No, no time. Joshua's pickup. - Quick! - Okay.
- [Desmond] You're going to be fine now. You're going to be fine. You're in good hands.
- What have we got here? It's a severed artery. Get some sutures. [nurse] Yes, doctor. Put some pressure on it. Did you apply this tourniquet? - Yes, sir. - Nice work. You might have saved this
- You staying with us? You're going to be okay. What's your name, son? [man 1] Gilbert. - [nurse] Surgery? - [doctor] Yeah, surgery. Stay with us, you're gonna be okay. You feel pain?
- Army physicals that way. This is for giving blood.
- Are you all right? Oh, no, that's not mine. I'm fine. Thank you for asking though, ma'am.
- I lent it to the boy who had the accident. My pants don't hold up so good without it.
- Well, uh, I don't have your belt. No, I know that, ma'am. It's out there. It's right out there with the boy still. [chuckles] Okay. I'm just here to take blood. I'll give mine. Okay, go to tha
- You ever given blood before, Mr...
- Doss. But my friends call me Desmond. No, ma'am, this is my first time.
- I always dreamed about being a doctor. But, uh, I didn't get much school.
- You may be a little dizzy when we're done. Is somebody picking you up? No, ma'am. Walking back. Where do you live? Fort Hill, ma'am. That's a ways. No. Just five or six miles, but I cut throug
- Bye. Where you going looking all spruced and nice? Met someone yesterday. A nurse over at the hospital. Her name's Dorothy Schutte. I'm gonna marry her. Goodness. Does she know that? - Well, n
- Wish me luck, Momma. Good luck.
- [Dorothy] Next. Grab a seat. You ever given blood before? Yes, ma'am. I have.
- You're the belt man. Desmond, yes, ma'am. Well, Desmond, we can't take your blood two days in a row. Well, that's good. I came to get mine back. - You what? - My blood. I need it back. [chuckl
- I never heard that one before. It's pretty corny. - [chuckling] It is? - [chuckles] That's a shame, I done practiced that all night. No good?
- What's the difference between an artery and a vein?
- - What are you talking about? - The boy's accident.
- I think you need to practice your boy/girl dating talk at home before you come out. - Yeah, I probably do. - [chuckles]
- I'll give you a book if you're that interested. On dating? [chuckles] On blood. [bugle playing on screen]
- Another medical question perhaps? No. I just think you're the prettiest thing I ever seen.
- That's because I'm sitting in the dark.
- - [horn honking] - [gasps] [man] Out of the way! [laughs] You need to watch where you're going.
- I'm sorry. I didn't think you'd mind. You didn't ask.
- - I thought you might have liked it. - Well, I might have if you'd asked.
- - [man] Watch where you're walking! - [both gasp]
- Why didn't you say nothing to us? 'Cause you would have tried and talked me out of it, - and I know what I'm doing is right. - And what about His Commandment? It's not killing in a war. It's pro
- Looks like a movie star, our boy.
- Reminds me of how Artie Giddens looked in his uniform when we went to France.
- - Remember him, Bertha? - Don't, Tom. What? I'm just saying how snappy Artie looked in his uniform. All you girls certainly seemed to think so. He had them flocking to him. He was most proud.
- I just hope that when our Hal gets shot, it's through the front of his jacket. Like a simple entry wound, not much mess. Artie got hit in the back, it blew most of his guts and intestines out h
- Wrecked his uniform entirely.
- [breathing shakily] It was lucky he was dead, so he never knew how awful his uniform looked.
- What are you, part mountain goat?
- Are you going to help me, Desmond Doss, or are you just going to leave me stranded?
- I'll help you, but it's gonna cost you. What? A kiss. [laughs] - That is pure blackmail. - Well, yes, ma'am, it is. But that is still my condition.
- That's the deal. And I'm going to hold you to it.
- You ain't gonna slap me, are you? 'Cause I fall off, I'm going to take you with me. Kiss me and find out.
- What? I have to enlist. I can't stay here while all of them go fight for me. - Yes, you can. You can stay here. - Dorothy, I have to. I want to be a medic. I figure I'll be saving people, not
- I have to go to work. I'm going to be late.
- Dorothy. Dorothy, darling. Dorothy. Dorothy!
- So are you going to ask me to marry you or what?
- Well, I don't know. You still going to have me? Well, I wouldn't know, you haven't asked. Well, I'm asking you, with all my heart and then some. - Will you marry me? - Then, yes. Yes, I will.
- When? Soon as you get your first leave. But I still don't like you at this moment. - Yeah. - Okay. Okay. Well, I love you. - Shh! - [nurses giggling]
- Momma said come see you here. Yeah.
- These three were my best friends. I grew up with 'em, I got into trouble with 'em, chased girls with 'em.
- covered in dirt and grass and eaten by worms.
- I don't want to have to visit my sons here. Daddy, I signed up already.
- I couldn't do otherwise, Pop. Everybody else is doing... You ain't everybody else!
- Everybody else jumps in and does things quick, without thinking! Like the damn idiot fools we were. And soldiers who live, they live because they can do that! You can't! Look, you gotta sit and
- It won't be hard, it'll be impossible. You know, whatever beliefs you have in your crazy head now, they won't ever play out. It don't work that way. And if by some, I don't know, miracle chance
- - [officer] Ready? - [man] Ready. [officer] Y'all need some air. Come on, fellas, shake a leg. Uncle Sam's got you now. Say goodbye to Momma. Come on. Ladies, please, step away from the bus. -
- You keep it right here, where I'll be.
- [man 1] Hey, don't say that about my girl. - What else... - Hey. Oh. Hey. Sorry, pal. [chuckling] ...means you're the person. - [man 2] They got me a bum steer. - [man 3] Nah, it's just a bum.
- Oh! Hey, I just got these shoes. Hey, uh, Grease Nolan, outta Red Hook. Where you from? - Virginia. - Ooh, hillbilly, huh? You marry your first cousin? [laughs] I'm just joking. Whoa! That's S
- That's Tex Lewis over there, he thinks he's some kind of cowboy. And, uh, Vito Rinnelli. He may be small, but he is a bulldog. - Hey. - How you doing? - Desmond. - Yeah. This handsome guy rig
- You are a very strange-looking individual if you don't mind me saying so, Private. - Name? - Andy Walker. How long have you been dead, son? - Sir? - I am not "Sir"! I am Sergeant Howell or Sa
- - The name is "Ghoul," you say? - Walker, Sergeant! - Ghoul it is. - Yes, Sergeant!
- - Private Idiot. - [straining] Yes, Sergeant. Raise your foot. Higher. [grunts] Everyone outside. Now! Move it.
- I said move it. All right. Just getting in my uniform, Sarge. - Did I ask him to, Corporal? - No memory of it, Sarge. I believe any man who takes such pride in his natural naked state will sure
- Very good, Tex. Keep struggling, Teach. Have you ever roped a goat, Hollywood? No, Sarge. Have you ever looked into a goat's eyes? - No, Sarge. - Good, that would be unnatural.
- You know if you don't breathe, you'll die. - Mmm-hmm. - Good, Private Idiot.
- Congratulations, Greaseball, you just fell 50 feet and broke your neck! Brilliant, Private Vito Rinnelli. You strangled yourself, numb nuts! - Are you a fan of Benito? - No, Sergeant. A bit tall
- What've we got here, Doss, one for each titty? You were tying a bowline, boy, not building a bra! [chuckles] - What is so funny, Corporal? - Couldn't tell you, Sergeant.
- Come on! Come on, ladies, pick it up! Move it! Move it! I want to see some fire here. A little hustle. - Show me something! - [panting] - Run like you mean it! - [whistle blowing] - Down, down
- - Move! Move! Move! - [panting] I want to see you work. Let's go! Dig, dig, dig! Don't forget behind your ears. Let's go. Move! I bet you're enjoying this, you naked degenerate. Let's go! Hust
- [all panting] This is a personal gift from the United States government to each and every one of you. A standard issue U.S. rifle, caliber .30, M1, a clip-fed, shoulder-fired, semi-automatic we
- Problem, Private Corn Stalk? Is there not one in your size, or is it the color that is the issue? No, Sarge.
- I was... I was told I don't have to carry a weapon. Come again? Step forward, Private. I can't be hearing this right.
- [man] What exactly is the problem? [Desmond] No problem, just a mistake, sir. [stuttering] I told the Army when I joined up. That's not possible. Do you know why it's not possible, Private? N
- You're a conscientious objector, and you joined the Army? Well, no, sir, I'm a conscientious cooperator.
- - Are you screwing with me, Doss? - No. No, sir. I volunteered. I ain't got no problem with wearing my uniform, or saluting the flag and doing my duty. It's just carrying a gun and the taking of
- Now let me tell you my requirements. They're not as complicated as yours. They're very simple. As long as you're in this company, under my command, you will obey my orders. Period.
- If you can't do it here, I can't trust you to do it in battle.
- [chuckles] I'm putting you in for a Section 8, psychiatric discharge. Dismissed. [Howell] Gentlemen! I want you to meet Private Desmond Doss. Apparently, Private Doss does not believe in violen
- Now, I realize some of you might have strong feelings about this. It is what we men fight for. To defend our rights, and to protect our women and children. Even if Private Doss' beliefs might ca
- You know what that is. It just seems kind of small. It's half the Bible for half the man. For Pete's sake, Smitty, give him back his Bible. I don't remember speaking to you.
- So, how come you don't fight? You think you're better than us? What if you was attacked?
- - [gasps] - [man 1] Whoa! Say, like that. The Bible says to turn the other cheek, don't it?
- See, I don't think this is a question of religion, fellas. I think this is cowardice, plain and simple. Is that right, Doss? Are you chickenshit, that it?
- Tell you what, I'm going to give you a free shot. Right there.
- Hit me, Doss. Go on. - [man 2] Let him have it. - [man 3] Go ahead.
- [man 4] Chickenshit. Hold on here. What is this? - Give me that. - [man whistling] - This is a fine-looking broad. - Nice. Hey, pass it around. Now, this would be the kind of broad that deserv
- Please. "Please give it back, Smitty." Please give it back, Smitty.
- No, sir. But I understand that God talks to you. Is that right? Sir, I'm not a crazy person. Is that how you feel most people regard you, a crazy person? I'm different. I know that, but...
- I'm not going to pretend to be something I'm not. - I am what I am. - Sounds lonely. You lonely?
- - So, you don't hear voices. - No, sir. I pray to God and I like to think He hears me, but it ain't a conversation, like the one we're pretending to have right now. [chuckles] - Pretending, Priv
- But I'm sorry, I will not bear arms. His religious views are certainly unique, but they do not constitute grounds for a Section 8 discharge. How am I supposed to maintain discipline with a man
- [grunts] Doss, your area is a disgrace. It's a pig sty! - Something funny, Ryker? - No, Sarge! - You got some shit on your mind? - No, Sarge! What you men fail to recognize is a unit is no bet
- Get your heads right. Don't start feeling sorry for yourself. Makes me sick see you feel sorry for yourself. You dogs don't know what tired is. We're going to keep going till I drop.
- Hey, knock it off. Trying to sleep here.
- - Get off me. Get off me. - Okay. All right. [breathing heavily] [panting]
- Why the hell are you still here?
- This isn't good for anybody. Sure ain't what I joined up for.
- It's not about what you joined up for. It's about the lives of every man in here. And yours, son. It's time to quit this.
- Finish getting dressed and I'll walk you down.
- It's okay, Doss. There's no shame in this.
- [sighs] Let's go. I got extra guard duty today, and I'm on KP this morning, so...
- Private Doss, can you identify the men that beat you?
- No, Sarge. Are you saying that you don't know who attacked you? I never said I was attacked, Sarge. Well, what the hell are you saying, Doss? You bruised half your body sleeping?
- [chuckles] Alright. [laughter] If you plan on getting wet this weekend, make sure you put on a hat. Next. Don't want anyone coming back pissing cream. What, you don't want none for your coffe
- Private Doss, I'm afraid I can't authorize your pass. This is a furlough for men who have passed the basic training.
- Well, sir, respectfully, sir, I have. I put in for this furlough three weeks ago. I'm getting married this afternoon. It says you're not rifle qualified. Well, I'm not required to carry a rifle,
- Show me you know how to handle a rifle and I'll sign your furlough. - Corporal Cannon. - Sir! Hand Private Doss your firearm.
- - I won't touch a rifle, sir. - I'm not asking you, Private! That is a direct order from a company commander. For God's sake, Doss, you stop this nonsense and quit. Refuse, and I will have no r
- How much longer would you like to wait, Dorothy? I think it's been long enough. I'm so very sorry. Sometimes men just get cold feet.
- Some men might. Not my Desmond.
- You probably think I'm a real son of a bitch who cares only about regulations and not his men.
- I believe in this book as much as any man. And just like any man, I wrestle with my conscience, but what do you do when everything you value in this world is under attack? I don't know, sir. I
- Let the brave men out there go and win this war.
- [door opens] If I can't convince you, maybe she can.
- They wouldn't let me call you.
- I knew it wasn't your making. [sighs]
- What have they done to you? [groans] It's okay, I'm all right. I just went a couple of rounds with the wall and lost. They're saying you could go to prison, Desmond. Leavenworth. There must be
- Probably nobody. Then why can't you just pick up the stupid gun and wave it around? You don't have to use it, just meet them halfway.
- - I can't do that. - Yes, you can. It's just pride. Pride and stubbornness. Don't confuse your will with the Lord's.
- But I don't know how I'm going to live with myself if I don't stay true to what I believe.
- Much less how you could live with me.
- I'd never be the man that I want to be in your eyes.
- I fell in love with you because you weren't like anyone else
- Do not think for one moment that you will disappoint me.
- I will love you no matter what.
- I don't know what he's gonna do. He loses no matter what. They want him to plead guilty, but then he'll get a dishonorable discharge. Otherwise he fights them, and he for sure goes to prison. E
- [Bertha] Tom, you're out of your mind, you're delirious. [Tom] Of course, I'm out of my mind. What do you think I am? I'm out of my mind. You leave this room. No, Tom! Put it down! - Get away
- [clears throat] May I help you, sir? I wish to speak to Brigadier General Musgrove. Not without an appointment you can't. That would be quite impossible.
- Uh, if you would kindly tell him Corporal Thomas Doss would appreciate a brief word. He's in a very important meeting. I fought with him in France at Belleau Wood. He was my captain.
- Please, ma'am, it's most vital.
- [receptionist whispering] There's a man out there, Tom Doss. Doss?
- Be over in a minute. You'll be home safe and sound, like nothing ever happened. [chuckles]
- [judge] This is a hearing into the matter of Private Desmond Doss. The charge is disobeying a series of direct orders from his commanding officer. How says the defendant? Private Doss wishes to
- Is that so, Private? I thought this was agreed. You wanted to enter some sort of plea bargain. - Yes, sir, but I changed my mind. - Just like that? You wish to proceed to a court-martial? - Yes
- Your Honor, Private Doss waves his morality at us like it's some kind of badge of honor. He flaunts his contempt by directly disobeying a series of direct orders from his commanding officer. Whe
- - You okay? - Yes. Are they still deliberating? Yes, sir. Okay, now you go take this in there. I can't. It's strictly military personnel. Well, then you get one of them to take it in. They ai
- - No, sir. I don't. - Why are you contesting it, then? Why is it so important to you, given your refusal to even touch a weapon, to serve in a combat unit? Because when the Japanese attacked Pea
- There were two men in my home town... declared 4-F unfit. They killed themselves because they couldn't serve.
- I had a job in a defense plant and I could've taken a deferment, but that ain't right.
- It isn't right that other men should fight and die, that I would just be sitting at home safe. I need to serve.
- I got the energy and the passion to serve as a medic.
- Right in the middle with the other guys. No less danger, just... While everybody else is taking life, I'm going to be saving it.
- With the world so set on tearing itself apart, it doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me to want to put a little bit of it back together.
- - Hmm. - Sorry, sir, nobody's allowed to go-- No, you don't understand. My son is the defendant. I understand, sir, but nobody's allowed... - I have information that's important. - Sir, you are
- - That's a Great War uniform. - [Tom] It is, sir. Sir, I need to show you this. With respect, sir, you are no longer a member of the military. You are unable to attend this hearing. I'm sorry.
- [door closing] "The defendant's rights as a conscientious objector are protected by an Act of Congress and he cannot be compelled to waive those rights. That includes, in this case, his disobey
- - I withdraw the charges, sir. - Then this case is dismissed. Private Doss, you are free to run into the hellfire of battle without a single weapon to protect yourself. You may resume your dutie
- - Where is he? - Gone. Straight after. I begged him to stay. I told him you'd want to see him. No, I understand. When you get home, you tell him I love him. Okay. Okay.
- [Hollywood] ♪ Uncle Sam is mild ♪ He's peaceful as a child ♪ But never get him riled or you'll be whipped ♪ [soldier 1] Hollywood, shut up. [soldier 2] Come on, pipe down. - [soldier 3] Shut
- Give him room. [soldier] Clear! Clear! Move aside!
- The 96th... or what's left of them. These are the guys we're replacing.
- - Seems good to me. - Clear. - As gold. - Clear. All clear, Sarge!
- Captain Glover. Lieutenant Manville, 96th. We've been assigned to you, sir. Okay. - Let's get these men some chow. - [Kirzinski] Yes, sir. This is, uh, Sergeant Howell. - Good to meet you, sir.
- You, and me and Page here are about the only medics we got left in this area. So, I guess we're gonna be working together. You just come off the line? What's it like? [breathes deeply] I said,
- Hacksaw. We climbed up six times. Six times, they threw us off.
- Last time, there wasn't anything left of the 96th.
- Stinking animals. Nips don't care if they live or die. They want to die. They keep coming at you. And they ain't never going to give up. Never. Here. Hey, buddy. [lighter clicks]
- [Schecter] The Japs deliberately target the wounded. Lose all your Red Cross markings. Nips put a premium on shooting medics. The white is a bull's-eye. Here, I got you a new helmet. One size fi
- [Glover] That's our objective. Hacksaw Ridge. We take it, maybe we get Okinawa. We get Okinawa, we take Japan. Take a breather. Our pals in the Navy are going to soften them up for us. [metal wh
- Nobody can survive that shit. Oh, but they can.
- Lieutenant, these bunkers here, here and here, is that accurate? Yeah, there's three... [gagging]
- Yes, sir, maybe a little further back, but it's all...
- It's all different up there. [soldier on radio] All clear, Captain. Gents, move out.
- We're not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.
- [soldiers whispering indistinctly] [breathing heavily] [medic] Coming through, make way. Out of the way.
- - Brown. - What? Give this to Jessop. Corporal!
- Where the hell are they? I can't see nothing. - Beats me, pal. - Where the...
- [soldier 3] Medic! - [screaming] - [soldier 4] We're over here! [screaming] Put your hand right here. Put your hand on there, Jack. Come on, come on. Come on, we're going to get you under cov
- [Grease] I can't see anything. - Is that one? - I don't know. Just shoot!
- - Medic! Vito's down! - I'm coming! Okay. I'm here.
- Come on, I got you, Ralph. Just breathe. [screaming]
- Just breathe. Just breathe, Ralph. It's okay. It's okay. Just breathe, Ralph, just breathe. I got you, I got you. I got you. Come on.
- Hey! Hey! Give him a shot of morphine and move on.
- He's not going to last a day. [Ralph] Please. Please, Doss, no. No. Don't leave me. Don't leave me. God, please don't leave me. I've got kids! Please. Please, don't. Please, don't leave me. I
- - Get up. Keep moving, son. - I can't, I'm wounded. There's nothing wrong with you.
- Move. A sitting duck's a dead one. Move. Go, go, go! This guy's a priority. We got him, we got him. Here.
- A priority? You ever heard of triage? He'll be dead before we get him down. You don't know that! Get him down. All right? Huh? - Okay. Okay. Go. - Okay. Okay. It's all right, buddy. We're going
- [Frank] Medic! Help! Help. I figure if we can't see them, then they can't see us neither.
- I got you, Frank. Where you hit?
- - I think they can see us, smart ass! - Doss, come on, come on. [Desmond] Give me a hand here. [gun firing]
- Get down, sir. Over there! The bunkers.
- I see them. Better stay down, sir.
- - I got 'em, dead ahead. - Yeah, I see 'em, too. Push in as close as you can. Give them everything you've got. I'll send in the weapons team to flank them.
- You keep that tight, you're going to be right as rain. All right? I got him, Doss. I got him. Here you go, come on now. Come sit over here. Hey. You doing okay? Okay. [rapid gun fire]
- Son of a bitch. - You, get on it. - Yes, sir! Take 'em. Go. Fire!
- Go, go. Go, Ghoul. Get in the hole. Stay there.
- Go! Go, Smitty, we'll cover you. Leapfrog.
- Come on, stick it. Stick it, Ghoul.
- I'm here. Put your hand on it. Put your hand on it! [soldiers screaming]
- Ghoul. Ghoul. [gasps] You're okay. Where you hit? [mumbling]
- You got a bump on the head, that's okay. What's your name?
- - Andy. - Andy what? Andy Walker. Also known as? [chuckles] Ghoul. Ghoul. Ghoul, you're okay, you're okay.
- [Manville] Good job, men. Good work. Dig in for the night. We hold this spot, we mop up the rest of the ridge tomorrow. Okay, boys. Find yourself a nice safe hole in or near the bunker. Rotate
- Still more wounded out there, Sarge. I'll go with him. [Howell] Be smart. Keep your ears down.
- All right, let's find a spot.
- [Teach] Rinnelli and Henry dead in the first 15 minutes, just straight off. Straight off. Peterson, Popeye. Standford and Murphy. Page and Unger.
- Ralston. "In peace, sons bury their fathers, in war, fathers bury their sons."
- You wanna stop spouting that crap, huh? - It don't help none. - [chuckles] Yeah, you got that right. Not here.
- [grunting] Hey, we've got an abdominal wound. This man is going to need some plasma. - You got it. - Leave him with us. Okay. You're okay now. They got you. [indistinct radio conversations]
- [breathing heavily] Should we find a hole and dig in? Sounds good to me.
- I don't eat meat. Help yourself.
- You know you're fighting out of your weight class with her, don't you?
- Don't tell her that. She'd be much happier with a man like me anyway. Yeah, until she got to know you. [both laughing] I'm an asshole sometimes. Sometimes? [both laughing] Yeah, all right. All
- I'll take first watch, all right? You get some shut-eye.
- Dreamed I got myself skewered. I couldn't do nothing.
- It won't bite. Yeah, it will.
- Look around you. After what we've just been through, any sane man would be screaming for a weapon. I never claimed to be sane.
- He fought it for years, but it kind of got a hold of him hard. Made him mean. Least you knew him. Mine could have been any one of 10 guys, and none of them worth a damn, so...
- So, your momma raised you? I knew her, but she gave me to an orphanage when I was five. Never saw her again.
- I learned how to judge people quicker, and I got you very wrong.
- My daddy used to beat me and my brother just because the sun rose, and then whip us just because it set. [soft chuckle] I could take that...
- ...but when he would do it to our momma... - Get away from me, woman! - [screaming] [both grunting] - [gunshot] - [Bertha screaming] [grunting] That's enough. No more. Do you hear me? Pull th
- So that's why I made my promise to God, I ain't never going to touch a gun again.
- Well, I ain't giving you mine, 'cause you're crazy.
- Move, move! Get your asses over here. Let's go! [soldiers yelling]
- Fall back, fall back! Go! - [soldiers screaming] - [gunshots continue]
- They're coming from underground.
- Searchlight, this is Baker Six. Request immediate support. Target is Yoke-Tare-Five-One-Five. Yes! Yes, I know that's where the hell we are, but I don't expect to be here much longer! - [gunsh
- [soldier shuddering] Hey, buddy. I'm right here. Right here. - [gunshot] - [grunts]
- - Come here, son. - [grunting] - [explosion] - [soldiers screaming] You know what to do. Keep pressure on it.
- [soldier grunting] No! Don't need plasma. Give it to him. Over there. I'll be okay. Go. Go. - Grease! Get Irv's back. - What? - You got it, okay. - See you soon.
- Come on. Come on. [both grunting] We gotta move right now. Come on, come on. [groaning]
- [soldiers screaming] There's too many, get the hell out of here! Move! Move!
- - I'm scared. I'm scared. - It's going to help the pain.
- [gasping] No, don't. Don't you do that. Come on. Come on, Smitty, you stay with me. Let's go. We gotta move.
- - Hey! - Yeah. Help me get him down. Help me get him down. Yeah. Come on, let's move. Come on. Can't help him, buddy, he's gone. - No. - Come on! We gotta get outta here! Let's go!
- [soldier] Come on. Everyone. Off the ridge!
- I can't hear you. [soldier] Medic, help me! Help me! Help me! - [aircraft whooshing] - [explosions] [men screaming] [exhales deeply] [soldier] Help me, Lord. All right.
- You're in good hands. Easy does it. Easy. ...six... eight... Fourteen. [soldier] Get these men secured immediately. [soldier] Yes, sir. - Private Ford, how many? - Thirty-two only came down, s
- - [groaning] - Harry. It's Desmond. We going to fix you up. You just got to keep breathing. Okay? - Colonel wants to see you, sir. - I need your jeep. You two stay here, keep watch, keep your e
- - [explosions] - [grunting] Help. Help me. Watch out. I got you. [panting]
- [groaning] Put your hand on it. Keep pressure on it. - I'm comin' back. Okay? - Okay. [grunting]
- [soldier 1] Easy, fellas, easy. Here we go.
- Okay, guys, let's go. On the count of three. One, two, three. [men grunting] [soldier 2] Help, medic over here! [shuddering] It's okay, buddy, hold it together.
- We're at the edge, Eric. You just sit tight, okay? [panting]
- You're okay, Eric. You're okay, buddy.
- - Son of a gun, this is going to work. - [Eric groaning] [Desmond] One for each leg, Eric. We're going to get you dressed up in a jiffy and get you down. - [groaning] - I got you.
- I got you now, Eric. You have to trust me now, Eric. You're gonna have to trust me.
- Japs! Hold on, one of ours. Hold on! Let's go, let's go! [gasping], grunting] I got you. I got you. I got you. Come on, I got you. You're okay. You're okay. [soldier grunting]
- [indistinct chatter] Colonel, call off the artillery attack on Hacksaw. Couldn't call it in. There's still over 100 men left up there. Tell them to call off the artillery on Hacksaw. - [panting
- We just lost our cover. [indistinct chatter] They're stirrin', we got to move. Come on.
- [grunts] About time. They just keep coming by the... - OK, OK. Pick it up. - I got this. [both grunting] [panting]
- [soldier grunting] [soldier speaking Japanese] [Bob] Doss. Doss. [groaning] Help. Help me. [gunshots] [gun cocking]
- You're gonna have to trust me. Take a breath.
- Let's go, buddy. Let's go. [both grunting] Jack, you don't know if your men up there are dead or alive. You can't go back up there without reinforcements. You'll end up killing the rest of them.
- - It's okay, it's okay. - [grunting] It's all right. It's all right. Everything's okay.
- Morphine. It's good. - [breathing heavily] - Shh.
- - Pinnick, Pinnick. Pinnick. It's Doss. - [shuddering] It's Doss. Be quiet. Be quiet. I got you. - Are you hit? - Yeah. I can't see. Be quiet. Just be quiet. Hold still now. I got you. Hold tig
- I thought I was blind! [laughing] Shh... Keep it down. Can you walk? I don't know. We got to get out of here, okay? Come on.
- Good. Okay, we got you. We got you.
- - Hey, Ted. - [breathing heavily] It's me, it's Desmond. I'm gonna fix you up.
- - You ready to get out of here? - Sure am. [grunting]
- Please, Lord, help me get one more. Help me get one more.
- Please, help me get one more.
- One more. Help me get one more.
- One more. Help me get one more. [panting] One more.
- Coming through. [soldiers groaning] Where the hell are these guys coming from? From Hacksaw. - I thought they pulled out. - Not all of them. Some nut's up there dragging wounded from the top.
- [inhales deeply] [panting] [Howell] Get in here. There's Nips everywhere. [grunts] Son of a bitch. Private Corn Stalk. You are nothing if not full of surprises. - [grunts] - You want some mor
- - All right, let me see. Let me see. - [groaning] How's this doing? Okay, not bad.
- Let me see. It looks much worse than it is. - Girls will still want to kiss you. - [laughing]
- Sarge, you okay here for a while? Yeah, fine. Get out of here. I'm coming back. You ready? Let's go. You and me, come on. - [grunting] - [Desmond panting]
- Captain. There's something you gotta see.
- Our guys have been coming down in droves all night. And Hollywood's here. I never thought I'd see that guy again. Come on, follow me. He's right here. [soldiers coughing, groaning]
- What the hell is this? [soldier 1] How you doing, sir? Hey, Cap. [soldier 2] Captain.
- - It's good to see you, kid. - Captain Glover, sir. How'd you get down, son? Doss. Howell's still up there. What, Howell and Doss did this? Mostly just Doss. - Just Doss? - Just Doss. Yeah, Do
- [grunts] - You're like gum on a shoe, ain't you? - Give me this. It's a bit late for target practice now, don't you think? [chuckles]
- - Jump on it. - You're kidding. No, I'm going to drag you. [soldier speaking Japanese]
- - [gunshots] - [soldier screaming] We got company. - [gunshots] - Come on.
- - [grunts] - Arms up. You gotta be kidding me, Corn Stalk. "You're tying a bowline, boy, not building a bra." [Howell grunts] - Come on. - [screams]
- - [Desmond] Ready? - Uh-huh. - [Desmond] Get on. - [grunts]
- - [Howell] Put me down! - Yes, Sarge. - [Glover] Sergeant Howell. - Doss is still up there. - [soldiers shouting] - [gunshots continue] - [Glover] What the hell? - He's got Japs on his tail. [
- [grunting] [soldier] We got him. That's good. That's good. [Howell] It's okay, we got him. [breathing heavily]
- - [gasps] - Whoa, whoa... - It's okay, Doss. - Come on, Doss, come on. - You're safe. - Come on, Doss. [breathing heavily]
- Desmond, it's all right, it's all right. Desmond.
- Are you wounded? Mmm... [inhales deeply] No. No.
- Let's get this soldier to a hospital tent, right now. - Come on, easy now. - [soldier] Easy, easy. Make some space.
- [soldier] We need someone to come and clean up in here.
- Where's Irv? - Irv? You mean, Schecter the medic? - [Desmond] Yeah. He didn't make it. He died of shock. No plasma.
- All I saw was a skinny kid. I didn't know who you were.
- You've done more than any other man could have done in the service of his country. And I have never been more wrong about someone in my life. I hope one day you can forgive me.
- We have to go back up tomorrow.
- I realize that tomorrow is your Sabbath.
- Most of these men don't believe the same way you do.
- But they believe so much in how much you believe.
- And what you did on that ridge, it's nothing short of a miracle, and they want a piece of it.
- And they're not going to go up there without you.
- - [aircraft passing] - [distant explosions] [Cooney on phone] What the hell is your delay, Captain? You were supposed to begin that assault 10 minutes ago! - We're waiting, sir. - Waiting for w
- For Private Doss to finish praying for us, sir. [Cooney] Private Doss is praying for you? Who the hell is Private Doss?
- [soldier] Down. Get down! Get on the ground. On the ground. Now!
- [grunts] Lay down, lay down. I got the morphine. [panting] Let's go, let's get these men out of here. [explosions]
- My Bible... My Bible. My Bible... Stop. Stop, stop, stop. Stop! [breathlessly] My Bible, my Bible, my Bible. Okay. [explosions continues]
- [panting] You're going home, Desmond. We've taken Hacksaw.
- [Desmond Doss] I was praying the whole time. I just kept praying, "Lord, please help me get one more." When I got this, I said, "Lord, please help me get one more."
- [Hal Doss] I would say anyone is wrong to try to compromise somebody's conviction. I don't care whether it's army or what it is. When you own a conviction, that is not a joke.
- [Jack Glover] Even though I said those things to him in regard to carrying a rifle, then he would never be by my damn side at all unless he had a rifle. But then, in the long run, finding out th
- I took water from my canteen, got some bandage, and I washed his face. And when I... was washing his eyes, his eyes came open. Man, he just lit up. He says, "I thought I was blind." And if I had
Desmond Doss - Andrew Garfield
Teach - Richard Pyros
James Pinnick - Jacob Warner
Lucky Ford - Milo Gibson
Young Desmond - Darcy Bryce
Young 'Hal' Doss - Roman Guerriero
Hiker - James Lugton
Hiker's Friend - Kasia Stelmach
Tom Doss - Hugo Weaving
Bertha Doss - Rachel Griffiths
Teenage Boy - Jarin Towney
Local Man - Tim McGarry
Lynchburg Doctor - Tyler Coppin
Dorothy Schutte - Teresa Palmer
Flirting Hospital Soldier - Richard Platt
Harold 'Hal' Doss - Nathaniel Buzolic
Cinema Kissing Sweetheart - Laura Buckton
Cinema Kissing Soldier - Anthony Rizzo
MP Gibbs - Simon Edds
Company B Soldier - Thatcher McMaster
Private Webb - Charles Jacobs
Sergeant Amos (as Dennis Kruesler) - Dennis Kreusler
Vito Rinnelli - Firass Dirani
Tex Lewis - Michael Sheasby
Hollywood Zane - Luke Pegler
Grease Nolan - Ben Mingay
Smitty Ryker - Luke Bracey
Wal Kirzinski - Nico Cortez
Ghoul - Goran D. Kleut
Henry Brown - Harry Greenwood
Ralph Morgan - Damien Thomlinson
Corporal Jessop - Ben O'Toole
Sgt Howell - Vince Vaughn
Private Maguire - Andrew Sears
Private Bates - Jim Robison
Private Green - Nathan Baird
Private Dixon (as Sam Wright) - Samuel R. Wright
Private Giles - Mikael Koski
Private Tyler - Troy Pickering
Private Lewis - James Moffett
Captain Glover - Sam Worthington
Private Perry - Josh Dean Williams
Colonel Stelzer - Richard Roxburgh
Bugle Player - Andrew Hansch
Corporal Cannon - John Cannon
Colonel Sangston - Robert Morgan
Minister - Helmut Bakaitis
Receptionist - Georgia Adamson
General Musgrove - Bill Young
Captain Daniels - Benedict Hardie
Judge - Philip Quast
Prosecutor - James Mackay
Lieutenant Manville - Ryan Corr
96th Soldier Bob - Sam Parsonson
96th Soldier Page - James O'Connell
Irv Schecter - Ori Pfeffer
Climbing Soldier - Craig Reeves
Soldier - Death Throes - Adrian Twigg
Popeye - Sean Lynch
Stretcher Bearer - Luke McMahon
Wounded Soldier - Bill Thompson
Firing Japanese Soldier #1 (as William Temm) - William Takayanagi-Temm
Firing Japanese Soldier #2 - Kazuaki Ono
Stretcher Bearer - Thomas Unger
Wounded Private O'Conner - Eric Taugherbeck
Wounded Private Blake - Hayden Geens
Rescued Private Horvath (as Edward Ned Law) - Ned Law
Corpse with Rats #2 - Kazuki Yuyama
Corpse With Rats #3 (as Daisuka Takeda) - Daisaku Takeda
Corpse with Rats #4 - Raphael Dubois
Soldier Hank - Tim Potter
Soldier Carl - Santo Tripodi
Lt Colonel Cooney - Matt Nable
Head Doctor - Laurence Brewer
Rescued Private Schulenburg - John Batziolas
Japanese Officer - Nobuaki Shimamoto
Japanese Hanging Soldier - Hiroshi Kasuga
Injured Japanese in Tunnel - Ryuzaburo Naruse
Reacting Japanese Soldier #2 (as Hisataka Uematsu) - Taka Uematsu
Rescued Wounded Leg Soldier - Adam Bowes
Rescued Private Moran - Michael Hennessy
Rescued Private Saareste - Benjamin McCann
Rescued Japanese Soldier (as Yukihiro Nagashima) - Yuki Nagashima
Japanese Sniper (as Takehiro Abe) - Taki Abe
Stretcher Bearer - Daniel Thone
Private Tillson - Nathan Halls
Private Gregan - Nicholas Cowey
Scared Military Officer - Charles Upton
Japanese General - Yoji Tatsuta
Surrendering Soldier - Toshiyuki Teramoto
Japanese General's Assistant - Honsen Haga
Private Baudour - Chris Bartlett
company B Soldier - Jake Bennett
96th Battalion G.I - Jeremy Costello
US Army Company B 1177 - Wez Debono
US Army - Company B - Matthew Dippel
Self (archive footage) - Desmond T. Doss
Self (archive footage) - Harold Doss
Japanese Soldier - Akira Fujii
Officer - Mark Gadaleta
Self (archive footage) - Jack Glover
Military Police / 96th Battalion - Daniel Keen
Japanese Gunner - Dragon Oli Lee
Japanese Soldier - So Mang Lee
Soldier - Tom Molnar
96th Battalion G.I - Jason Pugh
Billy Bob - Milan Pulvermacher
Japanese Soldier - Jim Punnett
US Medic - Sam Romain
US Army Soldier - Matt Scaletti
96th Battalion Soldier - Glen Snow
Wedding guest - Thomas Sutton
Japanese Soldier - Andrew Wang
96th Battalion Soldier - Michael Adam Welsh