Waking inside a laboratory on an airship, a man recalls bullies from his childhood. A scientist, Estelle, greets him and tells him his name is Henry, she is his wife, and that he has been revived from an accident that left him amnesiac and mute. After she replaces a missing arm and leg with cybernetic prostheses, mercenaries led by the psychokinetic Akan raid the ship, claiming all of Estelle's research is Akan's corporate property. He kills Estelle's scientists before attempting to murder Henry, but Henry and Estelle flee in an escape pod, landing in Moscow. Estelle is abducted by the mercenaries, who try to kill Henry..
Director: Ilya Naishuller
Writer: Ilya Naishuller, Will Stewart (additional writing by)
Released: 08 Apr 2016
Awards: 1 win & 1 nomination.
Movie Video Clips
Akan's a cunt
I love you
A grenade a day keeps the enemy at bay
You're half machine
Is break in there
Gives an idea for great Russian pastime
If you're hearing this
If you can hear them
Home is where the battle is
- You can't speak, but that's normal. Well, it isn't normal, but it's only temporary, okay?
- Do you remember how you got here?
- Henry, wait. Wait. We'll get there. Scan.
- Sensory processor activated. Relax, okay?
- Scanning. - Video link confirmed. - Up.
- This next part might hurt. Maybe quite a lot. But it won't last long, I promise.
- Harder. Cool, right? Integument.
- You probably don't recall. You were never a big fan of my work. Maybe this will change your mind. Right?
- Memory is a funny thing. I'm an expert and I do not know if you'll ever get yours back.
- You don't remember me at all, do you, Henry?
- I can't wait to hear you say it.
- - Henry. - His memories are stil catching up with him. Oh, Jesus. I'm Robbie. - The sorcerer of sound. - You're gonna love this.
- Because, sir... you're gonna get to pick your own voice. Thank you. Thank you very much.
- Hello, Henry. - Robbie. - Oh, come on, they are options. What white guy would wanna sound like the Louis Armstrong? Just one more, wait. Henry, I am your father. Robert, enough. - Sorry, mom.
- - Clear. - Clear. - Clear. - Clear. - Clear. - Clear.
- You're Henry, right? - Please, don't. - Shut up.
- Did I interrupted the procedure? Can Henry not talk yet?
- No, you... You can't. No. Don't look at me like that, Henry. Your girlfriend here might have built you, but I gave her the raw materials to work with. And I mean really, really raw materials.
- The skull was dented in and there was this, um... His eyes were missing and, um... the bottom half of his jaw was shred to pieces. Just about right.
- I'm bleeding, too. That was a little extraneous.
- Kick it out. Come on. If Akan gets ahold of my work, Men like these will be brought back from the dead to form his army.
- - Escape pod initiated. - There are two pods. - One. - Marty? Sorry. The man's clearly gone insane. Marty, no!
- - It's yours, get in. - Estelle! Get in. Get in! Escape pod initiated.
- - Altitude. Altitude. Altitude. - The chute! The chute! - Pull the chute! - Altitude.
- It's going too fast! It's going too fast! Hold on, Henry!
- Oh, God! Akan's mercenaries. Put me down. Put me down.
- They underestimate you, okay? - Let them get closer and then engage. - Akan, this one's a feeble piece of shit. Engage!
- No, Henry. Fight back! Come on! - No! Stop it! - Your boyfriend is not a killing machine... - ...you hoped for. - Henry!
- But you built a great punching bag. - You stop it! Stop it! - What? - You stop it! - Estelle...
- Aren't you curious what this fucker will do to this fucker? Henry!
- You're a fucking rabbit in the headlights, aren't you?
- It's alright. I'm not here to hurt you. Is your speech module installed?
- Well, at least we know you're not deaf. It's alright, you can put your hands down now. For three years, I've been waiting for this moment... and I get Charlie-fucking-Chaplin. For fuck's sake,
- Alright, let's have a look at you. Open the glovebox, please. Take out that whole contraption. You gotta untangle the wires. Is that a wedding ring? Are you...? Are you married? How's that wor
- Yeah, what a shocker. Right. Next, I need you to, uh... take your shirt off, please. Open up there. Yeah, those. Plug the jacks in there. Yeah, in there. So your name's Henry and... Okay, well,
- Which you are. Uncle Jimmy is gonna take you to his lab. Hang on. Ah, Shit. We got bacon on our tail. Unplug yourself, put that away. Got some clothes in here. Put the hoodie on.
- There's not enough time. Just cover the blood up with the bag. Just stay calm and let me handle this here?
- Maybe we can skip right to the fine? So...
- Do you know what's wrong with Mother Russia? Too goddamn hot.
- Too goddamn hot. Too goddamn hot.
- I used to be in charge of all this shit. And now...
- I'm gonna have to hurt you, Henry, but it's for your own good, mate. Just give me your arm, son. Hey! Shit! It's me! It's Jimmy. We've only got a few moments until they run into us again, mate.
- Here it is. Here it is. Bingo!
- This little fucker is how they've been tracking you. Toodle-ooo. In a few moments... your mechanical parts are gonna start shutting down. Your friend Akan's got an important Russian connection
- It is Slick's place. All you gotta do is break in there, kill him, Open up his ribcage, take out his beating heart...
- I'm kidding! I'm kidding, don't you fucking eat his heart. Under his heart is his charge pump? Yeah? Bring that to me. Use this and I'll contact you on this. That must gotta be the gayest jacke
- Great jacket! Where can I get one?
- What the fuck you think I have arms for?
- Henry. Akan's already started. If we do not stop him, he'll have his army in days or sooner.
- You're half machine, half pussy.
- Wait, wait. I can tell you something very important... about the man who sent you here.
- Oi, Henry. I'm at this high class establishment. Follow the door and then just knock on the knocker. Get it? Knock on the knocker!
- Hi. I'm a fucking car, baby. A Lexus convertible!
- I'm going back in there. That thing's destroyer-class.
- - It's good. - Yeah, yeah. Oh God, that's amazing. Yes! Fuck, you're late! You're late!
- The last 15 minutes.. ...have been a fucking roller coaster of emotions for me, mate! I didn't know if I was ever gonna see you again. So I fired up some of this shit. It fired up my fucking ner
- It's okay. You just lost some power. Come on. Hey, bring me some of this strong Russian shit, ladies. Okay, now, where is that... where is that pumper? Where's that? Did you get it? Did you get
- Who am I kidding? I'm in no condition to do this. I'm sorry, I'm in no condition to do this, mate. I'm in no condition. I'm sorry. I'm in no condition to do this.
- What's wrong with his hand? Who is he? Is he a robot? He's cute.
- I know how to make him feel better.
- No, I know a better way. Lift him up.
- Oh, goodness. Oh, goodness, what have you done? What are you doing this time, Jimmy? Are you still conscious? Yes. Hello. You're gonna be okay. We just gotta get a little bit of power in you.
- You're a big deal, you know? You're not the only one wronged by Akan. You and I want the same thing. This might hurt a bit.
- That's wonderful. Now I can take you back to my lab. I'm Jimmy, by the way. I realize this is all very confusing for you. But it's better if I show you at the lab. Yes or no. Hello?
- They're Here. They must have followed you. I can't... I can't let them see me like this. I can't let... I'm sorry. I can't stay here, Henry. I'm sorry.
- Fuck, yeah! Fucking hell, Akan's boys are here! I'm gonna hold them off, yeah? I'm gonna hold them off, yeah? More guns for you in the drawer, yeah? This is fucking war, baby. Yeah!
- Oh, fuck yeah! Hello, ladies!
- I'm not with them! I'm not with them! Go, go, go!
- The floor is fucking lava! I'm gonna burn this... Oh, God. Katya! Jimmy, you asshole!
- Please, please! Please, don't hurt me. - I've got a family. - Is that your wife?
- Don't mind her, Henry. She's mourning her late husband.
- I wasn't betting I would see you again. Your persistence is unparalleled. And quite exciting. Slick Dimitry's services were excellent.
- I'm just glad I never paid up front.
- I'll tell Estelle you did well. Akan! Akan, you open this fucking door! Do you hear me!? I got her all locked up in the back of my truck downstairs. I'm gonna rip your fucking lungs out!
- You'll go far, Henry, unlike this piece of shit!
- Hi, Henry. Put the gun down. It's all good.
- Hey, hey, hey. People, people. Chill out, calm down. Now I've shared something with you. I need you to share something with me. Where is Akan now?
- You want Akan? Here's your Akan. - And here's your Akan. - Fuck, Shit.
- That, is, my, ego, talking, to, you!
- What do you want? Higher self? Ego? Higher self? Ego? - Higher self! - Higher self, yeah. It's okay. Akan's guys are taking the girl to his base. Shit. Just let me handle this. Let me handle t
- Oh, God. I thought I'd lost you forever, Henry. I was so scared. I was so scared when you fell. I thought I'd never see you again.
- How sweet. If I took this moment and put it in a cup of tea. I wouldn't need sugar. Yuri, please.
- Every year, 100000 baseball bats are sold in Russia. And at most, 50 baseballs. Gives an idea of a great Russians pastime? This is a rare surviving bat. Estelle. Would you, please, be so kind
- Or do you want to take her place? Estelle, your boy is quite the white knight. Sacrificing himself to keeping you alive. Only for my dick...
- to kill you later. Are you sure, Henry? Are you sure? - I didn't hear a "no". - Brilliant! Come over here, Henry. C'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, Henry.
- Gentlemen, please go check that shit out. Freeze! Give peace a chance, brothers. My ego wants to kill you but higher self doesn't. Jesus, baby. I was talking to them, man! Shit.
- Look at this. Dude's got a memory blocker. Well, that's about all I can do for you, mate. Time for a reboot. See you in about 15 minutes, hopefully.
- Hey. He's awake. Your eyes might be a bit blurry. It's just your depth perception trying to calibrate, yeah? Follow me as I walk, yeah? Get up. Okay. Alright. Now,
- can you focus only over here? - Yeah? - Yeah. Burying you is like burying treasure. I really don't understand what Akan's thinking because...
- Henry, stop kicking around. You're almost there, mate. Here's where you're gonna get to. Chop-chop.
- Ah, shit! Those pigs are here again.
- Let them leave. Baby, the gag reflex is psychological. It's all in your head. Henry, no! I'm instructing you... Shit!
- Dawn of twilight. A cyborgs era. Thank you, sir. I've lobotomized everything not essential... Not essentials to soldiers. Personal memories, speech, sense of taste, it's all gone. You may still
- - What the shit-fuck, James? - I'm sorry, sir! I am so sorry. Shit, open the door. Please, open the door. We got a malfunction. Let me out, please, sir. I'll fix it. I doubt it.
- You know, Jimmy? Something about a spine snapping...
- - It sounds like... - The end, the beginning. Or all there's same? Have a seat, Henry. When a man is first crippled, there's always one question on everyone's mind, especially in his, "Does his
- Mine didn't, so I plotted my escape from this chair. I come to Russia when the West banned resuscitation of dead tissue. Akan is a megalomaniac, but my research was funded. I kept my eyes on the
- That hippie, always with the ganja. You're not baked, right? I hope not. Alright.
- You are the man, Henry. There is very little actual man left, of course. Enhanced skeletal muscular systems, cardiovascular turbo booster with a curio 244 atomic battery. A good night's sleep a
- Not you. My boys. I made the first few for revenge. But then started exploring new aspects of myself. Can I have a sip?
- I have lived these past years, Henry. My lads, they get speeding tickets, they walk barefoot through the grass. And boy, do they get laid?
- You never guess what we do here sometimes, alone. Hit "play", over there. Go on.
- Close your eyes. Close your eyes. Something is wrong with you, mate. Don't worry, it's not like the clap or nothing. Just gotta sit you down in this chair... and take a look at you, yeah? The
- of beating shit for being a traitor, you lying grasser.
- Put down the proto baby. Now!
- I tried to unplug you nicely, even though we knew that you beamed your video to Akan.
- You're broadcasting it to Akan!
- Enough! Enough. Even if I did believe you, you still have to...
- You brought them to my lab! I trusted you! Henry. Henry, please, kill me please. Akan won't. You made me live in this straitjacket of rotten, smelly skin! What the fuck was I thinking... that Ak
- Thank you, Henry. Fuck you too, but mostly thanks. My lab is compromised, but I can build a new one using Akan's equipment... When we go and get your wife. Together. Alright?
- Hey, put that on the wall. If I can't have my lab no one's having it. Now, don't loose this.
- Fuck you, Akan. Don't change the channel. We're coming right over.
- Alright, I counted six vehicles. That's at least 35 men. We gotta cut them down to half before they enter the hotel... to give us a fighting chance to get out alive. Also, there's a certain stig
- Wait for it. Wait for it. Now.
- Fuck! They're in the hotel. We don't need the sniper anymore either. Go inside, see the Colonel.
- Over here, lady. Arm yourself to the teeth. Don't touch that. Emma Gee is mine. As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay." Come on. Chop-chop!
- Well, home is where the battle is.
- Alright, private, it is our duty to ensure that no harm comes to the cripple, understood? Come along.
- You can hear them but you can't shoot them. You can drop a grenade, then. Drop an egg down there, laddie.
- Come on. My Lord, how embarrassing.
- I'll cover you. You go around them.
- Don't let the cripple get below you, laddie!
- Pull your weight. Help me with the cripple.
- Ready to get five paces back on my command. Ready?
- A cripple home for a crippled man. Thank you, Yuri. My quarters are actually up there. - Would you like to see them? - Oh, we will. Indeed.
- Take the next slipway. Over here. Here you go.
- Turn off the engines, lady. Let's turn the tables on these ballocks.
- Oh, my. Looks like Akan's already begun. By tomorrow, these poor chaps, will be super robotic soldiers like yourself. Look out!
- What's red and bad for your teeth?
- I can't tell you the number of times I dreamt that I was riding up in this lift.
- It's just a landing gear, laddie. Now, listen to me. When you kill Akan, I want you to look at him right in those eyes until the rest of him... is just as dead as they are, understand?
- Now, I'm afraid I shall not be coming with you. But you, letting me get you this far, has given an old sweat his greatest gift... in all his years.
- No. It's locked in its jugular. If you uncork it, I won't be able to...
- The... The thing-a-ma-jig in your pocket quickly.
- I'm afraid I have a confession to make. You see, I've been surveilling Akan for years. So when you drop down onto that road there and went rogue in so maginificently, Well, all I saw was my sho
- A memory block, see? And I couldn't afford, to have you remember a better life somewhere else, so... I left it in. Not my finest hour, I'm afraid. But then, back in my lab, while I was trying t
- It's bloody nice having a friend, Henry.
- Me think all those deaths would've prepared me for this. If you haven't already, you'll start to remember bits of your past now, Henry.
- And those memories... They're real. They're you. Trust them.
- Memories, memories, memories.
- My first batch of cyber-soldiers.
- With everything that you've experienced today... uploaded into what's left of their brains. All they remember is waking up in the lab... with their wives screwing their legs on.
- I love you, Thomas. Do you recognize this? That's odd.
- I smell what you like about her.
- This one's almost ready for you. But I'm warning you, their boosters make one to you have now...
- Look like a fucking night wolf. Go ahead, and fuck him up.
- Why are you hitting yourself, Henry?
- Baby? Baby, are you okay? I love how protective you are of me.
- - You owe me an apology. - For what?
- For doubting me. - I did have certain apprehensions. - Why did you let me do it? I was just detaining my women and losing all my men. Is everybody dead?
- - Yes. - Yes. Do you know when I realized that this was working? When? When Henry pulled me into the escape pod, trying to get me out of the lab, no mater what. Who would have thought that th
- We'll have a hundred of you tomorrow, and a thousand next week. Each one's first memory will be his wife, slipping a cheap brass ring in his finger. Every single one of my soldiers... will wake
- It's like my old man told me. It's like there's my name. And I'll prove them right... by killing all the wrong people.
- I love you, Henry. And I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide. Are you gonna lay there swallow that blood in your mouth? Or you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spi
- No! Stop! I'm ordering you to stop!
- Fuck you, motherfucker! Fuck, you. How could you do this to me, Henry? How could you fucking do this? Answer me! Answer me!
- You were supposed to love me.
- Henry! Henry! Listen to your heart!
Jimmy - Sharlto Copley
Akan - Danila Kozlovsky
Estelle - Haley Bennett
Henry's Father - Tim Roth
Slick Dimitry - Andrei Dementiev
Olga the Dominatrix - Svetlana Ustinova
Katya the Dominatrix - Darya Charusha
Yuri - Oleg Poddubnyy
Young Bully #1 - Jack Hahn
Young Bully #2 - Cyrus Arnold
Young Bully #3 - Jake Karlen
Robbie - Will Stewart
Timothy - Ilya Naishuller
Marty (as Martin J. Cooke) - Martin Cooke
Parking Lot Security (as Sergei Chikrigin) - Sergey Chekrygin
Windshield Merc (as Vladimir Lukianchikov) - Vladimir Lukyanchikov
Police Officer #1 - Andrey Berezkin
Police Officer #2 - Prokhor Zikora
Shop Girl - Ravshana Kurkova
Book Reader - Vasiliy Bobylev
Headphones Guy (as Ilya Kondratiev) - Ilya Kondratev
Waterbottle Kid (as Mikhail Mikhitarov) - Michael Mikhitarov
Waterkid's Girlfriend - Regina Surmina
Thug in the Water #1 - Roman Leshenko
Thug in the Water #2 - Mikhail Izotov
Park Thug #1 - Sergei Solomonov
Park Thug #2 (as Alexander Kraevski) - Aleksandr Kraevskiy
Lighter Thief Mercenary - Alexander Pchela
Stoner - Ivan Isyanov
Stoner's Girlfriend - Varvara Borodina
Anti-Cat Guard - Lado Kvataniya
Elevator Guard #1 (as Alexey Alekseev) - Aleksey Alekseev
Elevator Guard #2 - Alexei Zamaraev
Elevator Guard #3 - Alexey Agafonov
Staircase Guard - Victor Gorbachev
Keycard Guard - Boris Barabanov
Security Guy Interacting with Pliers - Sergey Shnurov
Concerned Boy - Rostislav Kaptur
Concerned Girl #1 - Tatiana Paladiy
Concerned Girl #2 - Victoria Golubtsova
Escalator Face Plant Girl - Uliya Stetsenko
One Arm Dog-Walker - Olga Chubarova
Brothel Bouncer #1 - Aleksander Gordeev
Brothel Bouncer #2 - Oleg Ermolaev
Brothel Madam - Polina Zueva
Ella the Whore - Liya Sitdikova
Car Fetishist - Bruce N. Chelemer
Brothel Barman - Sergei Mezentsev
Angry Prostitute - Helga Lovekaty
Tray-in-the-Head John in Brothel - Bruce Grant
Girl in Brothel - Aliya Lando
Girl in Brothel - Elena Skvortsova
Girl in Brothel - Anastasiya Akulina
Girl in Brothel - Yuliya Amirova
Girl in Brothel - Marina Vezhnavets
Girl in Brothel (as Mariya Vishnyakova) - Maria Vishnjakova
Girl in Brothel - Dina Grebeneva
Girl in Brothel - Diana Dzhemeleva
Girl in Brothel - Marina Zinoveva
Girl in Brothel - Yuliya Kovaleva
Girl in Brothel - Ekaterina Kormakova
Girl in Brothel - Olga Korobitsina
Girl in Brothel - Svetlana Malyisheva
Girl in Brothel - Olga Miromanova
Girl in Brothel - Anna Mozhaeva
Girl in Brothel - Natalya Obedkova
Girl in Brothel - Kseniya Orlova
Girl in Brothel - Alisa Poperechnaya
Girl in Brothel - Anna Sushko
Girl in Brothel - Natalya Sushkova
Girl in Brothel - Anna Shumeyko
Girl in Brothel - Elena Berkova
Girl in Brothel - Svetlana Alekseeva
Girl in Brothel - Evgenia Lukyanova
Girl in Brothel - Diana Shugurova
Girl in Brothel - Elena Pavlovskaya
Girl in Brothel - Tatyana Abramova
Girl in Brothel - Marina Celisheva
Girl in Brothel - Svetlana Gvozdeva
Dead Brothel Guy - Anton Banin
Flying Brothel Girl - Uliya Ivanova
Truck Knife Merc - Ivan Kolomicev
Knife-in-Eye Merc - Aleksandr Firsanov
Tank Driver #1 - Kirill Serebrennikov
Tank Driver #2 - Aleksandr Yatsenko
Rape Victim - Polina Filonenko
Beaten Up Boyfriend - Sergey Valyaev
Rapist Cop #1 - Kirill Byrkin
Rapist Cop #2 (as Evgeny Pilipenko) - Evgeniy Pilipenko
Rapist Cop #3 - Vitaly Voskeresenski
Mr. Fahrenheit - Aleksandr Pal
Battery Cyborg - Alexander Podshibiakin
Electric Skeleton Cyborg - Evgeniy Bazhenov
Flying Cyborg (as Andrey Rusanov) - Andrei Rusanov
Rock-in-the-Head Cyborg - Boris Bolelov
Uppercut Cyborg - Feodor Elutine
Strip Club Visitor - Andrey Da!
Henry - Chris W. Johnson
Henry - Pasha Kapinos
Henry - Vsevolod Kaptur
Henry - Fedor Lyass
Henry - Richard Roles