A mysterious young woman, Hester Shaw, emerges as the only one who can stop a giant, predator city on wheels devouring everything in its path. Feral, and fiercely driven by the memory of her mother, Hester joins forces with Tom Natsworthy, an outcast from London, along with Anna Fang, a dangerous outlaw with a bounty on her head.
Director: Christian Rivers
Writer: Fran Walsh (screenplay by), Philippa Boyens (screenplay by), Peter Jackson (screenplay by), Philip Reeve (based on the book by)
Production: Universal Pictures
Released: 14 Dec 2018
Movie Video Clips
Just as I was remade
The Age of the Great Predator Cities
You take the bed
What do you say
Shut up and run
How can a society so advanced
You never head south in the Outlands
I was eight years old when my mother...
What are they hunting
- Subtitles by explosiveskull Sync by GoldenBeard Colored by KGF SHRIKE: 60 minutes is all it took for the Ancients to bring humanity to the brink of extinction. Those who survived mobilized the
- In the hunt for food and fuel, the weak perished, and the strong grew ever more powerful. Until a new age arose, the Age of the Great Predator Cities of the West. (DEVICE WHIRRING) (QUIET PANT
- (PANTING) (DISTANT RUMBLING) (DEVICE WHIRRING)
- (TOOLS BUZZING, LIVELY CHATTER) Two. MAN: Vestin Al-Ga Gustanee. Osh alga. Aye. Osh alga. ♪♪
- MAN: Osh alga kasht du mara Khazak. (PANTING) (SIREN BLARING) MAN (OVER SPEAKER): Predator! Predator city! Six miles and closing! (GASPS) (PANICKED CHATTER) MAN: Leave it behind! Let's go!
- (SCREAMS) (GRUNTING, PANTING)
- (ENGINES CHUGGING, SMOKESTACKS BOOMING)
- BÜRGERMEISTER: Hurry! Fire up the engines! Move it, Dietrich! Fire them up!
- DIETRICH: Crank all engines. - Come on! Come on! - DIETRICH: Engine one is down! BÜRGERMEISTER: Switch to auxiliaries. - (ENGINES SPUTTERING) - Hurry! Hurry! ♪♪ (CROWD CHEERING)
- - Start them up! - Full throttle! - (PANICKED CHATTER) - Yew sahk! (ENGINES SPUTTERING) (MECHANICAL WHIRRING, SMOKESTACKS BOOMING) (ENGINES CHUGGING)
- - Full power. - (GRUNTS) (EXPLOSIVE WHOOSH)
- (CROWD SHOUTING AND CHEERING)
- - (CHEERING CONTINUES) - London!
- ENGINEER: Five, six... NAVIGATOR: Lord Mayor on deck. - Lord Mayor. - Mr. Valentine. - What have we got? - Small Bavarian mining town, powered by C-20 land engines. Usual store of brick, coa
- (HEAVY RUMBLING AND WHIRRING)
- They're gaining on us. Empty the silos. All of them. Do it! MAN: Get down there! (INDISTINCT SHOUTING)
- It's madness out there. You'd think they've never seen a chase before. Well, it has been a while, sir. - Morning, Clytie. - Morning, Dr. Pomeroy. The news is not good from the Hall of Ceramics.
- KATHERINE: Excuse me, Dr. Pomeroy? Good morning, Miss Valentine. I've been waiting outside the Manuscripts Room for quite some time. Your 9:00? I do apologize. This is not good enough. Where
- They're heading for the foothills. - Stay on course. - Sir? Stay on course.
- - (GRUNTS) - (SCREAMING, PANICKED CHATTER)
- (PANTING) MAN: Incoming! (SCREAMING, YELLING) (GRUNTS) (GASPS)
- Well done, everyone. - Prepare to ingest. - Aye, aye, sir. (INDISTINCT ANNOUNCEMENT OVER SPEAKER)
- (PANTING, GRUNTING) Ah, Mr. Natsworthy. Nice of you to join us. I'm so sorry I'm late, sir. You look nice. Have you had a haircut? - I don't want to hear it, Tom. - Is that new cologne? You're
- MALE ANNOUNCER (OVER SPEAKER): Citizens of Salzhaken, welcome to London. Bring only your personal possessions with you. Old tech is to be deposited in the bins provided. Citizens of Salzhaken,
- Strange to think this is what it looked like. 21st century? Yep. KATHERINE: It's so different. Yeah, well, that's what happens when the Earth's crust gets shattered into a thousand pieces. Ch
- (WHIRRING, STATIC CRACKLING) This is what I wanted to show you.
- (KATHERINE GASPS) TOM: It's a quantum energy weapon.
- There were dozens of them all over the globe. My God. They called it Medusa. How can a society so advanced, so scientific, be so stupid? Well, no more stupid than people today. They just had f
- Now, I've noticed that pieces have started to go missing. I notified my boss, who notified his boss, and of course nothing happened, so I decided to take a few precautions of my own.
- (EXHALES) TOM: All of it is viable weapons-grade tech. (GASPS QUIETLY) - KATHERINE: God help us. - TOM: The next time we cross the marshlands, I'm tossing the entire bloody lot over the side.
- Miss Valentine. You should have told me you were coming. I would have laid something on for you. Hello, Herbert. What are you still doing here, Natsworthy? You're on gut duty. No, I'm assistin
- (CHUCKLES): It's rush hour. He'll never make it.
- Wait! Tom! (HERBERT SIGHS) Tom, wait! - I can get you down there. - You what? I can get you down there. (INDISTINCT CHATTER) ANNOUNCER (OVER SPEAKER): Citizens of Salzhaken, welcome to London
- - (ANNOUNCEMENT TONES PLAY OVER SPEAKER) - Uh... - Okay. - MAN: Hey. - WOMAN: Excuse me. - Sorry. I'm with her. I don't know, I'm with her. - Come on through. - Really? (CHUCKLES) On you go.
- So, what's the rush? Well, got to get down there and go through all the artifacts taken off the catch. And anything of historical importance goes to the museum. But if I'm late, the gut workers
- ANNOUNCER: ...failing to follow instructions - will be detained. - No, no weapons allowed. - You cannot treat us like this! - You stupid? No weapons. ANNOUNCER: ...must be presented for inspect
- MAN (OVER SPEAKER): Nether Borough Station. Disembark here for Digestion Yards, Incomer Processing and Main Engine Rooms. Mind the drop. They still haven't caught her? KATHERINE: Who, Anna Fa
- I'm so sorry. You all right, Tom? - On bins again? - Yeah. - What are you doing down here? - Waste chute maintenance. I got it. Just leave it. I really am sorry. I didn't see you. Why would y
- Bevis, this is Katherine... Yeah, I know who she is. Catch you later.
- TOM: No, no, no, you don't! Stop! Oh, no, no, no. Stop! Stop! That is a Sunbeam TA200. That's a classic Radiant Control double-slice toaster with automatic bread ejection. All right? We have
- Tom. Tom Natsworthy, isn't it? Yes, it is. I knew your parents. They were lovely people. - First-class historians, both. - MAN: Excuse me. I thought you had plans to be an aviator. Oh, yeah,
- - I said get your hands off! - (CROWD CLAMORING) Never! (GRUNTING AND GROANING) VALENTINE: Oi! - What's going on? - (COUGHING) (GROANING) Take this gentleman to the medics. I want that man
- This is for my mother. - (GRUNTS) - (VALENTINE GROANS) This is for Pandora Shaw. (GASPING) Dad! (PANTING) (VALENTINE GRUNTS)
- - (FIERCE GRUNT) - No! (GRUNTING)
- (GRUNTING AND GROANING) (ALARM BLARING) (EXHALES) - There! - Come on. - Down here! - Hey, you! (INDISTINCT SHOUTING) No! Stop her! Hey, come back here! Stop! Get out of the way! (GRUNTING)
- (GROANS) Dad! - Stay here. - (KATHERINE GASPS)
- (GRUNTS) (CROWD CLAMORING) (GRUNTS)
- (GRUNTS) Come on! (GRUNTS) Come on! (GRUNTS, SIGHS) (MACHINERY WHIRRING)
- - No! (GRUNTS) - (GASPING) TOM: I've got you. (GRUNTS) Let go of me! VALENTINE: Tom! Tom? Look at me. Look at me. This is what he does when you get in his way. Ask him why he murdered my m
- Ask him about Hester Shaw. - (GRUNTS) - (TOM YELLS) No. No!
- I-I tried. I-I tried to stop her.
- It's not your fault. She was saying the craziest things, - and then she just... - What did she say? - You-you need a doctor. - No, no. What did she say, Tom?
- She said you murdered her mother. Murder? That's an ugly word. I'm sorry you had to hear that. Yeah. Well, I should go. Yeah, you should.
- Dad. (PANTING) It's all right. It's all right. I'm okay. I'll be okay. I'll be okay.
- Kate, I'm sorry. There was nothing I could do. What do you mean? They were fighting, Tom and the girl. The railing broke.
- MAN: Coming through! ♪♪
- (AIRSHIP BUZZING) (ENGINES CHUGGING)
- I'm sorry about Tom. I really am.
- We have airships out there looking. If he's alive, we'll find him.
- - What is it? - The girl. Who was she? Honestly, I don't know. Been wondering about that myself. She knew you. I've never seen her in my life before. I thought maybe she was an Anti-Traction
- I know you want to believe that Traction Cities and static settlements can live together in peace, but it'll never happen. - You don't know that. - Then why do they hide behind the Shield Wall,
- There will never be peace with Shan Guo.
- This is ruined. I'll get rid of it.
- (GROANING) Ow, my head. (TOM GRUNTING) (COUGHS) (GROANS) What? (GASPS)
- Wait. (COUGHING) What's going on?
- Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Hang on, hang on. You see, you-you can't just leave me here. HESTER: You shouldn't have followed me. TOM: I didn't follow you. I fell.
- Hey. Wait. (GRUNTS) (GROANS) Oh, for Quirke's sake. I'm talking to you. Hello? What am I supposed to do, eh? Where am I supposed to go? - I need to get back on London. - Six months! - Just
- (BOTH SIGH) I have money. - No, you don't. - (COINS JINGLING) (GROANS) Please. Please help me get back on London. Help me find a trading town. You'll never see me again.
- CROME: We're running low on food, fuel, basic resources. We can't survive out here much longer. We should never have gone into Europe. Biggest mistake we ever made. Well, we have other options.
- He's trying to hang on to a way of life that doesn't exist anymore. Municipal Darwinism. It's a dying system. Prey has all but gone. Soon, there'll be nothing left. I'm trying to build this ci
- (TOM GROANS) TOM: Could you slow down, please? HESTER: You want to find a trading town? - Keep moving. - (TOM GROANS) - TOM: My feet hurt. - HESTER: Get used to it. That's what I like about y
- Don't worry about me. I'm more than capable of looking after myself. Might surprise you to learn that I was gonna be an aviator. I have a faultless sense of direction.
- All right. Which way? My navigational instincts tell me...
- ...we should go... (CLICKING TONGUE)
- ...that way. That way, definitely. Those tracks head south. Yeah. You never head south in the Outlands. Not ever.
- (DOOR CREAKS AND BOOMS SHUT) (INDISTINCT CHATTER, TOOLS CLANKING) VALENTINE: I've reconfigured the metrics. You can amplify the magnetic resonance using materials on hand. - What else do you n
- She could be a problem. She won't stop until I'm dead. Unless you kill her first. I received a message from Sharkmoor Prison this morning. They claim to have captured a Stalker. One of the Resu
- ♪♪ - Where to, boss? - Sharkmoor Prison.
- No fires. Unless you want every Scav town from here to Rustwater to find us. (DIGGING, TOM SIGHS)
- That, uh... that doesn't look clean enough to wash in. - I-I wouldn't... - (SLURPS) Oh, my God, that's disgusting. Thirst will kill you before hunger. (SLURPS) (GROANS) It's either this or you
- "Best before 2118"? It's an Inkie. - It's over a thousand years old. - Doesn't matter. The food of the Ancients never goes off. It's indestructible. (SIGHS)
- It's so quiet out here. Doesn't that bother you? I like the quiet. I grew up with the sound of engines. I've never known anything else. It's funny, you know. I've spent my whole life dreaming
- Careful what you wish for, eh? I thought you wanted to be an aviator. Oh, I did. But then my parents died. Eight years ago now. When Tier Four collapsed in the Big Tilt.
- (SIGHS) Yeah. What about you? Well, how old were you when your mother died? - We're not gonna do this. - Do what? We're not gonna tell each other our sad stories. I can't help you. And you c
- (BRANCHES RUSTLING) (YOUNG HESTER PANTING, WHIMPERING)
- (SCREAMS) (WHIMPERS, SCREAMS) (GASPS) - (PANTING) - (DISTANT CREAKING, WHIRRING)
- TOM: Hello! Hello! Over here! - Tom. - Hey! - Get down! - It's a trading town. Look, look, look, look. - (DISTANT SHOUTING) - Look. HESTER: Oh, God. They're Southies. (CANNONS BOOMING) (
- (HESTER PANTING, TOM GRUNTS) - That was close. - Too close. - Get off me. - Oh.
- What the hell are Southies? Scavs on a night hunt. What are they hunting? - Us. - (GRUNTS)
- (INDISTINCT SHOUTING OVER SPEAKER)
- (INDISTINCT SHOUTING CONTINUES OVER SPEAKER)
- (TOM GROANS, SHOUTING CONTINUES) (TOM GRUNTING)
- (GRUNTS, WHIMPERS) (CREAKING, RUMBLING) Are you in one piece? - Yes. - (SHUSHES) Oh. Oh! (RUMBLING FADES)
- (HUMMING QUIETLY) (DISTANT SHOUTING OVER SPEAKER)
- (PANTING) (HESTER WHIMPERS, GROANS)
- Couple more seconds, and you'd have been fender meat. Lucky for you, we was here. (GRUNTS) (STEAM HISSING, ENGINE WHIRRING) How bad is it?
- (ENGINE POWERING UP) (MR. WREYLAND GRUNTS) (RUMBLING, STEAM HISSING)
- (GRUNTS) She needs a doctor. No quacks here. Not on Scuttlebutt. Could you take us to the nearest town? - What? - Chipping Sodbury. That'd be the nearest, wouldn't you say, Mr. Wreyland? - I
- Oh, it's actually not bad. It's not bad. Bottoms up. Funny you should say that. We grow it in the runoff under the sewage room.
- Oh, nasty. That's gonna leave a scar. You don't need any more of those, do you, Petal?
- MAN (OVER SPEAKER): Disembark here for Digestion Yards, Incomer Processing and Main Engine Rooms. Bevis. Bevis Pod. I need to speak to you. - I can't help you. - Wha...? The-the girl that att
- Why? Why would he do that to Tom? Because he got in the way.
- BEVIS: It's a lie. A cover-up. They're building something in there. Something they don't want anyone to see. Excuse me, ma'am.
- I tried to get inside, but there are guards at every entrance. There's no way in.
- MRS. WREYLAND: Here we are, then. It's not the Lord Mayor's Suite at the Boggy Regis, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick. (TOM AND HESTER PANTING)
- Make yourselves at home. I'll be back bright and early to empty your slops.
- - Thank you. - Not much of a talker, is she? Your girlfriend. Oh, no, no, no, no, she's not... she's not my girlfriend. MRS. WREYLAND: Of course not. Handsome boy like you. You can do much bet
- This is all my fault. I'm sorry.
- I was eight. I was eight years old when my mother died. She was an archaeologist. She loved traveling the world and digging up the past. (BRUSHING)
- (BOTH LAUGHING) They're beautiful. ♪♪
- HESTER: He used to visit all the time. (LAUGHTER) He'd spend hours poring over the things that she had found. (CHUCKLES) Then one day... everything changed.
- She'd found something on one of her digs in Lost America. Something he wanted.
- (GASPS) - Pandora, what are you doing? - No. No. No. What was it? I don't know. VALENTINE: Stop it! Don't do this! PANDORA: Let go of me! (GRUNTS) - VALENTINE: I'm taking it. - No. (GRUNTS)
- YOUNG HESTER: Mom! Mama! (VALENTINE GRUNTS FIERCELY) (SCREAMING)
- (BLADE SLICES, YOUNG HESTER SCREAMS) Run, Hester!
- Hester! HESTER: He would have killed me, too.
- PIERREPOINT: We caught it on the edge of the marshlands. - PRISONER: Please stop! - It had torn apart a whole town. - Murdered them all. - (SCREAMS) Stop it! I lost a dozen good men bringing it
- Hester! (BANGING CONTINUES) (WILD SHRIEKING)
- (GROWLING) (RHYTHMIC MECHANICAL HEARTBEAT)
- (METALLIC CLINKING) The last of the Lazarus Brigade.
- Resurrected from the sleep of death. (GASPS) SHRIKE: I do not sleep. No, you've been hunting her, haven't you?
- Why? (RHYTHMIC MECHANICAL HEARTBEAT CONTINUES) Answer me.
- She broke her promise. (BANGING) (SHRIKE ROARING)
- What happens when you find her? What happens when you find Hester Shaw? I will kill her. ♪♪
- VAMBRACE: Are you sure about this? There's no telling what that thing might do. I know exactly what it will do.
- Hold it steady. (TRILLING BEEPS)
- (GASPING) Oh, what-what's wrong? We've changed direction. We're heading south. Get the door. - (DOOR RATTLES) - It's locked. (GRUNTS) We're locked in.
- Must be something around here.
- (MUTTERS): All right. Maybe.
- (INDISTINCT SHOUTING IN DISTANCE) (GRUNTS)
- (HESTER GROANS) (GRUNTS SOFTLY, SIGHS) (ENGINES CHUGGING)
- If we climb along that ducting, we can jump from the back. It's no more than, like, 20 feet. - I can't. - Yes, you can. No, I can't. I'll-I'll never make the jump. Uh, you will. I'll help you.
- HESTER: Head due north. There's a way station called Ramskate. You can catch an airfreighter from there. (SMACK, WOMAN SCREAMS) - MR. WREYLAND: Get him out! Move it! - Go. - All right. - MR.
- What are you waiting for? Go.
- - MR. WREYLAND: Come here. - WOMAN: No! - Come here. - Listen to me. - (INDISTINCT SHOUTING NEARBY) - MAN: Hai-ji! - (GRUNTS) - WOMAN: No! No! MAN: Ya ma-tee bihd. Time to check out, folks.
- - Come on, out you come. - No. (WHIMPERING) Move it! (INDISTINCT CHATTER)
- - That was your chance. - Well, I couldn't do it. I couldn't leave you. Well, then you're a fool. I would've left you. (LOCK CLANKING) (DOOR CREAKS, INDISTINCT CHATTER) (GRUNTING) STIGWOOD:
- - (CROWD OOHING) - MAN: Oh, yeah. STIGWOOD: Stone the crows. Full disclosure to my valued clients at the back: This one is a real swamp donkey - and priced accordingly. - (GRUNTS) - (LAUGHTER
- ♪♪ STIGWOOD: An unregistered bidder. Please, approach the stage. ♪♪
- 50 quirkes for this soggy dollop is an extraordinarily generous offer, madam. Normally, that would be enough to make me self-pollinate. - (LAUGHTER) - But my problem is this: 50 quirkes is no
- - Wait! - Hester! Hurry! (MAN GROANS, BELL RINGS) (GASPS)
- MAN (OVER SPEAKER): Anti-Tractionists!
- See, I knew you wouldn't leave me. Shut up and run. - MAN: Anti-Tractionists! - (ENGINES CHUGGING) Anti-Tractionists!
- - That's a Resurrected Man. - Shrike. His name is Shrike. You made me a promise, Hester Shaw. Now you must keep it. Go now! Run! This way!
- HESTER: Come on! Come on! (GRUNTING) (SAW BUZZING) (YELLS)
- Hester! Come on. (HESTER WHIMPERS)
- (GRUNTS) (TOM YELLS) (ENGINE CREAKING)
- (WIND WHISTLING) Where are you taking us? Just stay behind me. I'll handle this.
- How? How exactly will you handle it? Easy, all right? Just... (INHALES DEEPLY)
- I'm just messing with you. Sit down. Both of you.
- That means you, too, city boy. Sit.
- (INHALES SHARPLY) (SIZZLING, PAINED GRUNTING)
- HESTER: You saved our lives. Why?
- You don't trust anybody, do you? Just like your mother. You look like her, too. You knew her? Pandora Shaw was the bravest woman I ever met. After she died, I looked for you. I looked for a l
- You were raised by that corpse. - You don't know what you're talking about. - Actually, I do. - No, you don't. - I've studied them. - You've studied them? - I know a lot about the Resurrected.
- You're an idiot. (AIRSHIP BUZZING)
- Mr. Valentine. - Not now. - I'm sure you know who I am. - No, I don't. - Herbert Melliphant. Your daughter's a very good friend of mine. No, she's not. Sir, I have something that may be of in
- (HEAVY MECHANICAL FOOTSTEPS APPROACHING)
- (RATTLING, SQUEAKING) HESTER: He took me in. He looked after me.
- In his own way. Eat. The living must eat.
- (TOY SQUEAKS, YOUNG HESTER GASPS) HESTER: He liked to collect things. Broken things.
- Things that others had thrown away.
- I think he saw in those strange machines a reflection of himself. Where is his heart? It has no heart.
- HESTER: I think, somewhere deep inside, a memory remained.
- I think he had a family once.
- SHRIKE: You are sad. Always sad, Hester Shaw.
- I will remake you, as I was remade. You're gonna kill me. For a little while. I made him a promise. I would become like him. My flesh, steel. My nerves, wire. My mind wiped clean. No thoughts
- That's it. That's my sad story. ♪♪
- Where are we going? Have you heard of the Cat's Cradle? BEVIS: The Cat's Cradle? I thought it was a myth. KATHERINE: It's not a myth. It was built by the Scriven in the first days of London.
- Dr. Pomeroy? POMEROY: They came in this morning, a couple of thugs from the Guild of Engineers. I tried to stop them. They knocked me to the ground. They knew what they were looking for. They
- There are over a thousand stairs in the Cradle. Turn upon turn. But eventually they lead to the crypt beneath St. Paul's. Be careful, child. Whatever it is they are doing in that church has no
- Hold her steady for a second.
- (SWITCH CLICKS, TOM SIGHS) (ENGINES WHIRRING)
- - Not bad. - (SIGHS) You've done this before? - Yeah. A bit. - (ENGINES WHOOSHING)
- ANNA: Good. You can take her in. Take her in? Where?
- MAN (OVER SPEAKER): You are cleared for landing, Jenny Haniver. Dock seven. Welcome to Airhaven.
- (WORKERS SHOUTING IN DISTANCE)
- What are they saying? Captain Khora was just offering to buy you dinner. Weren't you, Captain?
- DR. TWIX: Magnetic resonance is climbing, holding at full capacity. (MACHINERY WHIRRING, HISSING) All systems are active. She's ready. It will all be for nothing unless we act now. London must
- (WIND WHISTLING) NAVIGATOR: New bearing confirmed, 90 degrees. Coordinates set: 51 degrees north by 71 degrees east. Why are we altering course? We're executing the new order, sir. Whose orde
- (LIVELY CHATTER) (ELECTRICAL BUZZING)
- Wh-Wh-Whoa, what's going on? They're the Ruh-shan. The Anti-Traction League of Shan Guo. This is about my mother, isn't it? Before she died, Pandora found something. Something dangerous. She
- He took something from her. What? What did he take? A piece of old tech. - What kind of old tech? - I don't know. She was eight years old. She doesn't remember. Then perhaps you can help us, L
- KHORA: Six months ago, Valentine started buying up fusion inverter cells - from Scav traders. - TOM: Wait, wait, wait, wait. - Fusion inverters? - You know something? (PANTING): No, that's...
- TOM: That piece of old tech that Valentine took from your mother, did it have a symbol on it? Like...
- Yes. TOM: Your mother found a computer core. The control system of a quantum energy weapon. (MACHINERY WHIRRING AND RUMBLING LOUDLY)
- MEDUSA (AUTOMATED VOICE): Medusa is live.
- - How do we shut it down? - TOM: You don't. Well, not without the crash drive. - Anglish, halviti. - It's a type of key. A kill switch that overrides the firing sequence. Once it's initiated,
- You dare countermand an order of Lord Mayor?
- ♪♪ My God. (ELECTRICITY CRACKLING) VALENTINE: Nothing can stand in the face of this. Not the battle hammers of Arkangel, not the howitzers of Panzerstadt. Not even the guns of the Anti-Tract
- CROME: You mean to go to war? You cannot ignore the lessons of the past as if they count for nothing. There are no lessons to be learned from the past. History doesn't care. It is dead. This
- You cling to the past as if it can save you. You're a relic of a dying age. A dinosaur. What does that make you? Me? I'm the meteor. (GASPING) Katherine, come on. Come on. (WHIMPERING) No, no
- He's not my father. Not anymore.
- ANNA: They're gonna attack the Shield Wall. Get word to Governor Kwan. - (ELECTRICITY POWERS DOWN) - MAN (IN DISTANCE): Hey! MAN: For crying out loud. - WOMAN: Hey! - MAN: Check the fuel line!
- (MECHANICAL FOOTSTEPS, DOOR CREAKING) Hester Shaw. HESTER: No! - Get back! - Stop! Don't shoot! HESTER: Shrike, get out! No! Stop shooting! Anna! (GRUNTS) Get off! - (MAN YELLS, SCREAMS) -
- (MAN YELLS, SHRIKE GROWLS) (SCREAMING)
- (SHOUTING) (SNARLS) - Nils! - (FIERCE GRUNT)
- - Ka se-wo! Pou ya tek! - HESTER: No! Listen to me, Shrike! (YELLING) (SCREAMS) (WIND HOWLING) Koyo se! (YELLS)
- (DEEP CREAKING) Get to the Jenny now! Go! Go!
- (SCREAMING, FRANTIC CHATTER) (GASPING) Watch out.
- (PAINED GRUNTING, SPARKS CRACKLING)
- - (DEVICE WHIRRING, BEEPING) - Nils! Get down! (RAPID BEEPING) (GROANS)
- (RUMBLING) Everybody, move! (ALARM BLARING, FRANTIC CHATTER) MAN (OVER SPEAKER): All aviators, evacuate now! I repeat, evacuate now! (RUMBLING AND ALARM CONTINUE)
- (SCREAMING) This way! ♪♪
- Hester. (ELECTRICAL CRACKLING)
- (YELLS, GRUNTS) - (CHOKING) - HESTER: No! (GASPS) - Tom! No! - (ELECTRICAL CRACKLING) No! Stop! - Stop, Shrike! - (GROWLS) Stop. You're gonna kill him. You will not remember him. No. I'm th
- (ELECTRICAL CRACKLING, SHRIKE GROANS) (MECHANICAL WHIRRING, GASPING) Shrike?
- (GROANS) (GASPS QUIETLY) - (SHRIKE GROANS) - No! No, Shrike!
- (GRUNTS, GASPS) (SHRIKE GASPING WEAKLY)
- I release you from your promise, Hester Shaw. (HESTER GASPS) (SOBBING)
- (CREAKING) (EXPLOSION BOOMS IN DISTANCE)
- (DISTORTED, ECHOING): Stop it.
- (EXPLOSIONS RUMBLING IN DISTANCE)
- VALENTINE (OVER SPEAKER): The world is changing. London must now look beyond Municipal Darwinism - and move into a new age. - (CROWD MURMURING)
- VALENTINE: Tonight, we set a course for the savage heartland of the Anti-Traction League. The Shield Wall of Shan Guo and the lands beyond will become our new hunting ground. (CHEERING)
- VALENTINE: For centuries, Traction Cities have attempted to breach the wall. Their rotting carcasses lie at its base. But that will not be our fate. Tonight, London is going to demonstrate it
- MAN (OVER SPEAKER): Hold your formation on approach, Jenny Haniver.
- Welcome home, Windflower. Windflower? I was once kept as a slave on the Ice City of Arkangel. I vowed never to be owned by another again. I made my friends swear an oath. "When this body is do
- The Allied Fleet, the great defenders of the East.
- London is fast approaching. Governor... launch the fleet. - We cannot wait. - What are you suggesting? A preemptive strike? Destroy Medusa before it destroys us. No, no, no. You-you... you ca
- We strike first. (ALARM BLARING) Tom. - WOMAN: What's happening? - (CROWD MURMURING) (FRANTIC CHATTER)
- MEDUSA: Entering enemy kill zone in six minutes and 39 seconds. Raise it up.
- We target the searchlights. Take out their forward defenses. London's gun turrets are deadly. Don't underestimate them. We'll have to destroy all fixed artillery to access the cathedral. Take
- ANNA: Get them into the air. Now! (FRANTIC CHATTER)
- MAN: London! ♪♪ (HISSING, WHIRRING)
- (WHIRRING) What have they done? ♪♪
- - Confirm target coordinates. - MEDUSA: Coordinates confirmed. Target is locked.
- (QUIETLY): Aso luman sala ta. Aso luman sala ta... (PRAYER CONTINUES QUIETLY) ♪♪
- MEDUSA: Initiate firing sequence.
- Where did you get this? Go dark.
- They're preparing to fire. Sound the alarm. Everybody off the wall! - Run! - (ALARM BLARING) - MAN: Get inside now! - (BELL RINGING) (FRANTIC CHATTER) We need to find Anna.
- (LOUD WHIRRING, ELECTRICAL BUZZING)
- ♪♪ CROWD (CHANTING): London! London! London! London! London! London! London!
- - Hit them again. - Recharging accumulators. - (FRANTIC CHATTER) - MAN: They're coming through! (PANTING)
- - We have to get to London! - KHORA: Are you crazy?! They're gonna fire that weapon again! Not if we shut it down. HESTER: The crash drive. My mother gave it to me. NILS: Come on, we have to
- They didn't destroy us. ♪♪ Nils, you lead. Yasmina, stay on his wing. Khora.
- We're gonna be under heavy fire. I'll need you to clear a path for me. - Anna. - Go.
- - Where's Tom? - (ENGINES WHIRRING) Tom?
- You sure you want to do this? Once we go in, there's no going back. I have to. For my mom. For Pandora.
- (PEOPLE SCREAMING IN DISTANCE)
- ♪♪ They're gonna fire again! HESTER: Pull up! Pull up! (EXPLOSIVE WHOOSHING, BUZZING)
- Khora. (PANTING) Khora! ♪♪
- (GUNS WHIRRING) Stay low, Windflower. We'll draw their fire. Let's do this! Kaza wo bu yagen! (ENGINES REVVING) ♪♪
- Nils, watch out! (GROANS) Nils! No!
- (GRUNTS) Toa, cover Yasmina!
- KHORA: Yasmina, take out the last one! (ALARM BEEPING, YASMINA GASPS) - We're going down! Hang on! - (YELLS)
- Toa! Toa, come on. Come on. Come on, get up. (KHORA GRUNTING) Hey, get up. - (TOA COUGHING) - (PANTING): Okay. (HEAVY RUMBLING)
- - (GRUNTS) - ANNA: Hester! Take this, and stay out of sight - until I give you the signal. - What signal? - How will I know? - Trust me, you'll know. I'm not that subtle. ♪♪
- (GRUNTS) MEDUSA: Warning. Core temperature rising. Increase the coolant! Recharge!
- Okay, city boy, take her from here. - What? - I got to go. I'm late for church.
- Lock target coordinates. MEDUSA: Target is locked. DR. TWIX: Wait! Temperatures have to stabilize. Prepare to fire. MEDUSA: Firing sequence initiated. VALENTINE: Do it, Twix!
- Watch out! (GRUNTS) (GUNSHOT, VALENTINE GRUNTS) (GUNSHOT)
- (GRUNTING) - MEDUSA: Warning. - (ANNA YELLS IN PAIN) - Core temperature critical. - (ALARM BLARING) VALENTINE: Deploy system override. Fire again! One more strike, that wall comes down.
- Take cover! (INDISTINCT SHOUTING) (ELECTRICAL CRACKLING)
- MEDUSA: System override initiated. Firing will commence in 59 seconds. (BOTH GRUNTING)
- (ANNA AND VALENTINE GRUNTING) MAN: She's gonna blow! (GRUNTING)
- MEDUSA: Firing will commence in 45 seconds.
- (BOTH GROANING) (STEADY BEEPING)
- MEDUSA: Firing will commence in 30 seconds. Come on, come on.
- MEDUSA: Firing will commence in 15 seconds.
- (PAINED GRUNT) (GROANS) MEDUSA: Ten. Nine. - HESTER: Come on. - Eight. - Come on. Come on, come on. - Seven. -(PRESSING BUTTON) - Six. - Just let go. Five. Four. It's over. - Three. Two.
- MEDUSA: System overload. Unstable. Unstable. Now it's over.
- (RUMBLING, ELECTRICAL CRACKLING)
- Kate. Thank God you're safe. - We need to go. - How could you? How many lives have you taken? And for what? I did what I had to. This city was dying. - I tried to save it. - Stop lying to me.
- (PEOPLE SCREAMING) (GUNFIRE CONTINUES IN DISTANCE) - What have you done? - Don't go up there. Katherine! (ENGINES CHUGGING)
- - Let's go, Gench! - Roger that.
- (RUMBLING, WHOOSHING) GENCH: We must be tethered, boss!
- (WHIMPERS) TOM (OVER SPEAKER): Come in, London Wheelhouse! London Wheelhouse, do you read me? Come in, London Wheelhouse! Tom? - Tom, is that you? - Katherine? What the hell's going on down
- Katherine, I need you to do something. Are you listening?
- You're not gonna hurt anyone else ever again.
- Tom, are you sure about this? Do it! (GRUNTS) (HEAVY CLANKING, WHIRRING)
- (LAUGHING) I will kill you. I know you will. Whatever the world throws at you, you fight it, claw your way back. You don't give up. You are so like me.
- Your mother never told you, did she?
- But then, I guess she didn't need to, because... you already knew.
- (GRUNTS) You let your guard down.
- (SIGHS) (PANTING) (BOTH GRUNTING)
- Is this what you want? You want to die? Come on, let's finish it.
- (BOTH PANTING, WIND WHISTLING) I'm gonna live.
- (GASPS) - (GRUNTING) - Hold on!
- (ALARM BLARING, VALENTINE PANTING) Gench! (VALENTINE GRUNTING)
- (PANTING) (ELECTRICAL CRACKLING)
- (METALLIC CREAKING) (PANTING) (ECHOING THUD, ENGINES STOP)
- So, what happens now? We go where the wind takes us. See the world. What do you say?
- ♪♪ Subtitles by explosiveskull Sync by GoldenBeard Colored by KGF
Hester Shaw - Hera Hilmar
Tom Natsworthy - Robert Sheehan
Thaddeus Valentine - Hugo Weaving
Anna Fang - Jihae
Bevis Pod - Ronan Raftery
Katherine Valentine - Leila George
Magnus Crome - Patrick Malahide
Shrike - Stephen Lang
Chudleigh Pomeroy - Colin Salmon
Vambrace - Mark Mitchinson
Captain Khora - Regé-Jean Page
Sathya - Menik Gooneratne
Yasmina Rashid - Frankie Adams
Nils Lindstrom - Leifur Sigurðarson
Toa Heke - Kahn West
Herbert Melliphant - Andrew Lees
Clytie Potts - Sophie Cox
Governor Kwan - Kee Chan
Dr. Twix - Sarah Peirse
Stigwood - Mark Hadlow
Pandora Shaw - Caren Pistorius
Young Hester - Poppy Macleod
Burgermeister - Joel Tobeck
Professor Arkengarth - Terry Norris
Chief Navigator - Calum Gittins
Mrs. Wreyland - Megan Edwards
Mr. Wreyland - Peter Rowley
Gench - Aaron Jackson
Pewsey - Stephen Ure
Pierrepoint - Nathaniel Lees
Dietrich - Paul Yates
Medusa (voice) - Lynda Lester
Waving Aviator - Nick Blake
Young Mother (as Beatrice Joblin) - Beatrice Brophy
Lookout (as Thomas Lahood) - Thomas La Hood
Water Hawker (as Simba Matshe) - Simbarashe Matshe
Salzhakener - Lee Tuson
Food Hawker - Jason Whyte
De Groot (as Mike Homik) - Michael Homick
Scav Trader Carter - Carter Nixon
Tube Tannoy (voice) - Rick Baker
Salvage Man #1 - Royden Davys
Salvage Man #2 - Richard Mills
Burly Salvageman - Shane Rangi
Major Chen - Yoson An
Shan Guo Man - Philip Reeve
Shan Guo Teenager - Sam Reeve
Nicholas Quirke - Nicholas Quirke
Shan Guo Control - Martin Kwok
Airhaven Control (as Seth Miller) - Seth F. Miller
Salzhaken Woman - Madeleine Adams
Scuttlebug Captive - Natalia Adams
Rustwater Captive - Nellica Adaway
Museum Woman - Margaret Austin
Londoner / Rustwater Buyer - Roger Awhimate
Salzhaken Maiden - Aurora Bailey
Rustwater Captive - Terena Bailey
Medusa Engineer - Lucy Beeler
London Gentleman - Michael Bennett
Gut Worker - Ian Bonallack
London Gut Worker - Dorothy Anne Bonner
London Gut Captive - Talia Brewer
London Beefeater #1 - Jared Brown
Salt Trader - Philip Cristian Claassen
Scuttlebug Thug - Rodney Cook
Slave Trader - Trevor Cooper
Grease Monkey - Paul Craze
Aviator - Karl Dickson
Salzhakener - Meredith Dooley
London Navigator - Laura Douglas
Engineer - Angus Dunn
Salzhakener - Claire Farrelly
Street Sweeper - Gary French
Sweet Girl - Sophie Fulton
Airhaven Citizen / London Gut Sewage Man - Mike Galuszka
Saltzhagen Civilian - Marie-Therese Emma Gilbert
London Policeman / Salzhaken Man / Water Carrier - Faran Gillbanks
Salzhaken Refugee - Stephen Grey
London Gut Captive - Tim Hamilton
Scuttlebug Thug - Winham Hammond
Scuttlebug Thug - Peter Hassall
Bored Teacher - Elizabeth Hawthorne
Salzhaken Navigator - Oliver Heinrich
Beefeater #2 - Jackson Herman
Salzhaken Woman - Kathryn Briggs Hobbs
Rustwater Captive - Jonathan Hobman
Londoner with Headphones - Billy Jackson
Londoner with Book - Katie Jackson
Salzhaken Woman - Dee Jamieson
London Gut Worker - Werner Kaffl
Shan Guo Soldier - Tamati Kawha
Salzhaken Man - Ron Kerkmeester
Rustwater Buyer - Isabelle Rose Kircher
London Engineer - Zachary Klavs
Shan Guo Bell Ringer - Kristi Kleijn
London Policeman - Terewai Kopua
London Gentleman / Shan Guo Soldier - David Lancaster
London Policeman - Jace Lee
London Medic - Ebony-Jordan Lewis
Airhaven extra - Rob MacBride
Salzhaken Townsfolk - Leah Macmillan
Salzhaken Woman - Catherine Manchester
Salzhaken Man - Tim Mansell
Rustwater Trader / Salzhaken Man - Sam Manzanza
Slave Trader - Mark Mataipule
Airhaven Citizen - Teal Mau
Tier 1 Londoner / Tier 2 Londoner - Barry Mawer
Salzhaken Woman - Shirley McGregor
Rustwater Trader - Carlton McRae
Babushka - Liz Merton
Rustwater Trader - Joseph Mika-Hunt
Cossack / Rustwater Trader - Keith Mole
Engineer - Ethan Mooney
Museum Child - Olivia Morphew
Shan Guo soldier - Reagan Morris
Slave - Sarah Munn
London Lady - Gretchen Murray
Rustwater Trader - Jimmy James Nielsen
Rustwater Captive - Kevin Noble
Trading Cluster Water Carrier - Stephen O'Neill
Rustwater Captive / Salzhakener / Scavenger / Scuttlebug Captive - Danni Parsons
Medic - April Phillips
Rustwater Trader - Wayne Phillips
London Medic - Jazz Prasad
London Police - Martin Pratt
Captain Goucho - Jordan Rivers
Grease Monkey / London Gut Worker - Andrew Schnetler
Tier 1 Londoner - Tony Shaw
Salzhaken Woman - Dianne Smith
Guard - David Stella
Slave - Hayley Stent
Guard - Ryan Tarran
Shan Guo Citizen - Angelica Thomas
Rustwater Buyer - Paul Trlin
Londoner / Shan Guo Citizen - Jade Valour
Scuttlebug Thug - Amand Weaver
Londoner - Daniel Christopher White
Rustwater Trader / Captive - Christopher Winchester
Elderly Lady - Irene Wood
Captive and Rustwater Buyer - Stephen Wright