Filmed over 14 months with unprecedented access into the inner circle of the man and the sport, this is the first official and fully authorized film of one of the most celebrated figures in football. For the first time ever, the world gets vividly candid and un-paralleled, behind-closed-doors access to the footballer, father, family-man and friend in this moving & fascinating documentary. Through in-depth conversations, state of the art football footage and never before seen archival footage, the film gives an astonishing insight into the sporting and personal life of double Ballon D'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo at the peak of his career.
Director: Anthony Wonke
Production: On The Corner Films
Released: 09 Nov 2015
Movie Video Clips
- With more experience, with more objectives, more desires, proving to my family, proving to my dad, that the decisions I took in the beginning, at the age of 12, were the best ones.
- There are people who love me. There are people who hate me...
- who say that I'm arrogant, that I'm vain or I'm this and that. That's part of my success. I was made to be the best.
- My dear boy! Your mother's heart almost exploded. That's what I wanted to say to you too, Ronaldo! Oh, my dear boy, you deserved it!
- The Ballon d'Or is the very best individual award for any player. It means you're considered the best player in the world.
- To see Messi win the Ballon d'Or four times in a row was difficult for me.
- After he won the second or third in a row, I said, "I'm not coming here anymore." Why do I come here if I am doing so well for my team? Why should I come here?
- I have to win more Ballons d'Or.
- For me, the year gone by was the best year of my career. Without any doubt.
- I try to fight with my weapons every day, every match, throughout my career, to be the best ever.
- That second Ballon d'Or was obviously one of the most beautiful moments in my life.
- But my ambition ends up always wanting more, always wanting more. A new year, goals to score, trophies to win... That is the way I live my life.
- - Good morning. - Good morning. Good morning, Cris. Come here!
- - Give Daddy a kiss! - Yes. OK.
- - Done! - Give me five! Well done.
- The Champions League final is almost here and Carlo Ancelotti's Real Madrid is searching for a new title. For the whites, it could be La Decima. The last time that Real Madrid won the trophy was
- Real Madrid wanted to win the Champions League, La Decima, and obviously, to win, you need to have the best players.
- - Whoops! - I didn't get hurt. Come. Shall we race to the door? - Yes. - Now!
- I'm going to win! I'm going to win! I won! I won! See?
- I was at Manchester for six years. And... I won practically everything there was to win. - Impressive, isn't it? - This is incredible. - Is there going to be a match or not? - No. That was when
- The stadium was full to welcome me to the team. 90,000 people at the stadium.
- I felt like a star, like a pop star or a Hollywood star.
- Today the time has arrived. Today we welcome to his new home, today we welcome Cristiano Ronaldo.
- For me, I've achieved my childhood dream, which was to play for Real Madrid.
- I didn't expect the stadium to be so full today just to see me. I can't believe it. Incredible!
- Let's go. One, two, three. Hala Madrid!
- If I had to choose one title, the Champions League would surely be the most important.
- The mythical Decima was the most wanted trophy in Madrid.
- Preparing the shot. That one might be a goal. Goal! Goal for Atlético Madrid. It's clearly in. Godin scored. Minute 36. Atlético takes the lead on the scoreboard.
- 400 million viewers all over the world in more than 200 countries are watching this match. And now, Real Madrid needs to improve and recover if they want to win La Decima.
- And the world's best player, as well as Real Madrid's, 17 goals in this year's Champions League... He is a true champion. Nothing is impossible for him. Cristiano.
- As we did the first time, we're all going to shout together. One, two, three. "Hala Madrid." One, two, three... Hala Madrid!
- He's a very big man, isn't he? Bigger than you. No. Bigger in size, but Daddy is stronger. Didn't you know that?
- Look. Where's your schoolbag?
- Look. Which car is missing? The Ro... No, the Rover is outside. Which car is missing here? Look at them all. Go on. Which one is missing? The Porsche? Look properly! Look properly!
- - The Royce. - No. One that is very fast, very fast.
- Lamborghini. - Ah! You didn't know. - And where is it? It went to change a tire. A tire blew up.
- Go! Go! Go! I'm going to be a goalkeeper. OK, Dad? - No, I don't want that. - But I do. A goalkeeper? Are you joking or what?
- Go! Go! Great defense! Dad, I'm going to teach you how to shoot a penalty. To shoot a penalty, you place the ball here. But don't go too far away because otherwise you won't score. - Oh, reall
- Football has always been my passion. It was always what I enjoyed doing the most.
- I was born on the island of Madeira; more specifically in the neighborhood of Quinta Falcão. I wanted to be someone in football.
- I started playing football at Andorinha. At the time, my father was Andorinha's kit man. I stayed at Andorinha for a couple of years. Then I went to Nacional. It was one of the best teams in Made
- At Sporting, we were happy to find a new family.
- There were many footballers with plenty of talent. But Cristiano had something special. He did different things. He was never satisfied with the amount he did. He always wanted more.
- It's the most expensive transfer ever for a kid his age, around 15 million euros. On Manchester's website, they say 17.3 million. I don't understand why it's different. Probably it went to his m
- Tiago, it's Jorge Mendes from Gestifute speaking. Good evening. I'm in Madrid. We have to meet up. One of these days we'll go out for lunch. Jorge Mendes is one of the most important businessme
- ...and that's when practically everything began.
- I felt a great empathy with him right from the very first moment. Right to this day, everything Jorge said would happen has happened.
- Little Jorge. Dance! Hold on! Come here.
- Shall we go home? Let's go home. Straighten his feet. - Put him in the back. - C'mon, son, go in the back. - Open it. - It's open. - See you tomorrow. - See you tomorrow, Mum. I have limpets
- Hi, how are you? Fine, and you?
- Look, Daddy's going to make a drink. Do you want to try a little bit? - No. - No? OK. Then I'll do it just for me. Alright? Or do you not want a little bit? - Just a little bit. - A little bit
- See if you like it. That's for you to become very strong! Look at Daddy's arm, look. Don't you want to be big like Daddy? Huh?
- It's very good. Come on. Finish painting so we can go and play football. Come on. It's nearly done. You like it, huh?
- Good. You will be... Whoa! - You're going to be very strong! - Touch it. That's it. Look at the ball. I tricked you. That's it. That's it.
- Now it's bedtime. Come. This way. To your bed!
- Give Daddy a kiss. Sleep well. Give Daddy a hug.
- Come on. Let's go. Wait! Let me take out the blankets.
- There are twelve days remaining until Portugal's first game at the World Cup and the main concern for the Portuguese football team is the most famous acronym in the world... CR7. Cristiano Ronal
- Portugal's going to win the World Cup!
- Before the Champions League, with 15 days to go, I was injured.
- I think it was an accumulation. Every year I play more than 60 games. Either you stop for two or three months or you learn to live with the pain and have the psychological strength to endure it.
- I can endure the pain because I think there's something stronger. Maybe if I didn't feel the pain, maybe I wouldn't be as good as I am.
- Give us a smile! Give us a smile!
- Yes? - Hello? - Yes. - Hello. - Yes, Mum. - You don't have any network, Ronaldo. - Mum, I'm inside the hotel. You don't want me to go out to the woods to find a network, do you? OK. OK. Call
- Cristiano, are you feeling 100 percent now? 99.9 percent.
- It's Cristiano's favorite color.
- I love you, Daddy. When are you coming back?
- Beautiful! A round of applause. Beautiful!
- Wherever the national team goes, all the attention is on Cristiano Ronaldo. Naturally, we're talking about the best player in the world. Cristiano Ronaldo says he feels 99.9 percent ready for th
- There couldn't be more at stake for Ronaldo and the Portuguese team. It's going to be essential for Ronaldo to do well in this World Cup if he's to retain his Ballon d'Or.
- Let's go! Let's go! Let's go! Let's go! - The ball, the ball... Ball. - Ball. Let's crush them! Go, go, go, go, go! Let's go! Let's believe we are a great team. Let's go!
- No. He has the telephone number of the agent. Don't worry! He will take care of everything. The match is going to start in half an hour.
- Any other player would not have played in the World Cup because Cristiano was in no condition to play a World Cup.
- Everybody that I spoke to said, "He's going to put his career at risk." "He shouldn't play."
- It could have become a serious problem.
- Look here! It's time to wake up.
- Frustration starts kicking in on the pitch. That's what happened. Frustration, being beaten four-nil, starting the World Cup in the worst possible way. It was the worst thing that could have ha
- We hadn't met people's expectations, what the Brazilian people helped us with. I think we couldn't give it back to them.
- Look at that. Look! He reacted quickly. Let her go, man! Let her go!
- She was at the hotel waiting for you yesterday. - This girl? - Yes, the same one. - I didn't see her. - Cristiano, she jumped this fence. Yes, security told me. We'll meet her in a bit. She's
- Don't they want to talk to me as well?
- Thank you for everything. Thank you for everything.
- I did it! - You did? - I did. - What did Cristiano tell you? - He knows I exist. He asked me to stay calm and stop crying, to take care. He asked what my name is and I asked him to follow me o
- - Three times a day... - Don't exceed three per day. - Can I take one now? - Yes, you can. - At night? - Exactly. OK. And tomorrow? If you want to, take it when you're feeling too anxious like
- - Hello? - What's up, Maria? How's everything? Have you taken the sedatives? - Have you taken the sedatives? - What? Have you taken the sedatives? Take it easy. It's only a game. Don't be upset
- Carla? My young man is looking beautiful, isn't he? - Both of them! - Ha! No, the little one. I'm talking about the little one.
- And so, tomorrow... Are you ready to watch the World Cup game? I am, but it's always that thing and it's a match we have to win. - Of course. - We have to win.
- And you see, being old, I get more nervous. - No, you're not... - It's true. It's true. I think that when I was younger, I dealt with it better, whether they won or lost. But not now. I suffer
- This is the second game for Portugal in the group stage facing the USA. They need to win after their awful performance against Germany.
- She lives my world as well. She lives my joy. She lives my sadness. It's as if she plays football and not me.
- I often say there are times when my mother looks older because of football. Goal!
- Portugal! Portugal! Portugal!
- It's quite complicated for a mother to watch a son who needs to win.
- I get sad. I get worried. And I suffer a lot.
- When he gets hit, it's like they hit me as well. Because I've always liked football a lot, I wanted to have a son who'd be a great player.
- But I never thought in my life that I'd have a son who'd be a professional player and be the best in the world.
- Go! Go! Go! Goal! Dinis, be quiet! Go! Go! Go!
- Now's the time. Score now, Ronaldo! No. I'm going outside. No. No. No.
- - Pass me my flip-flops. - But it's not... It's over now! OK. But pass me my flip-flops! I'm going on my own. I'm going for a walk. Oh, Ronaldo! Damn it!
- I risked sending my son to Lisbon when he was 12 years old which wasn't easy at all.
- I felt like I was abandoning him, but it was for a good reason.
- Because I worked hard to raise four children. But he was an unwanted child, but that son gave me so much joy.
- All that I have I owe to that son.
- However many people turn up, you'll always be well received, won't you? Is that taxi over there available? - A photo with you, please? - The first one, yeah? We had arrived in Portugal. I didn't
- I didn't even want to go to Portugal. I didn't want to come to Spain. I wanted to travel. I wanted to go anywhere else where I wouldn't follow it, because I was sad.
- I have no doubt that the World Cup made my injury worse. I feel sad. I feel that things are not flowing. I don't feel any improvement in my injury.
- I could have recovered by now. If I could go back, I wouldn't have gone to the World Cup.
- Are you playing? - It's looking hard, isn't it? - It's you. You're well trained. I'm seeing if I'm lucky enough to be able to pay you the 40 euros. What do you mean? You're almost like Cristia
- I have to watch it, don't I? It's only us two, right? What's the suit? - Spades, spades, spades. - No, no. Which one was it? It's spades! Watch out for the game or you'll lose.
- Five, six, seven, eight... - Three... - Four, five, six, seven.
- That's it. Ten! One, two, three, four, five... Seven, eight, nine, ten. That's it. Get off. Look. It's a draw, the game. We both won. We'll do the rest this afternoon, alright? Give me a snug
- I consider myself to be an isolated person. I know what's best for me. And the best for me is I come home, completely disconnect from the world, media, television, football because I know that
- I have everything. There's nothing that I don't have. But people are always waiting for me to make a mistake, to accuse me, to criticize me. It's difficult. It's very difficult.
- Wait. Wait. I can see him. I can see him.
- I think I will always be observed in a different way. But that's part of what I have achieved in the world of football. Maybe when I end my career, things will become quieter.
- What name have you chosen for this baby? Hugo Tomas. Are you aware that you are obliged to educate him in the faith so this child can keep God's commandments? Yes. And you, the godparents, are
- The celebration has concluded. Congratulations on the new Christian in your home. And one last thing, later, outside, if you don't mind, take a selfie with me. OK?
- Cristiano Ronaldo has lost his father. Dinis Aveiro leaves our world at the age of 53. His condition deteriorated in the month of July. Cristiano Ronaldo booked an air ambulance to take his dad
- Ronaldo's father drank a lot. He had cirrhosis and he died due to drinking.
- Ronaldo did everything he could to save his father, but he couldn't.
- I think it was because he joined the Portuguese Colonial War in Angola and he returned angry because of the war. And when he came back, he felt very angry and although he never mistreated his c
- My father, he was very funny when he was drunk.
- He used to tell a lot of stories. He used to sing. He was funny.
- He was drunk nearly every day. And when that happens, it's not easy to have a conversation to get to know my father a bit more. I'm not ashamed to say it. I didn't really get to know my father f
- If you ask me why my father became an alcoholic, I don't know.
- Maybe he was frustrated with life. I don't know. I don't know and I don't care.
- I feel some frustration because obviously I wanted a different father, a dad who could be more present to see my achievements.
- That's what frustrates me the most. The fact that he can't see all my successes as a player, as a person, as a father as well. But I think that I managed to handle things in his absence. Give me
- I always had this dream of having a son to be my successor.
- I wanted to be a young father, and I was. I was 25. Because I wanted to be able to follow him during his development as a person, as a man. That was always a dream of mine.
- Obviously, Cristiano has been a big influence on me.
- I have learnt to be calmer, more cautious. I have learnt a lot about being a father.
- People speculate that it was with this girl or the other, or a surrogate mother. I've never told anyone and never will. I think I should keep that to myself. And later, when Cristiano is grown up
- Some kids never get to know their parents, neither father nor mother. Having a father is good enough.
- I don't care what other people say. It doesn't bother me. I always thought, and still think, that he will understand me.
- I can't believe it! I can't believe it! He doesn't have anybody apart from his father and me, and so he does spend a lot of time with me. Now how is he going to score?
- Pass! Pass it forward! I'm not bothered about who the mother is. I just want to give my grandson love and educate him as Ronaldo asked me to, as I did for him. He reminds me of Ronaldo when he
- Cristiano shoots and... Goal! The winner of the Ballon d'Or! - The best player of last season! - Goal! Goal! Goal!
- Cristiano scores his 11th goal of the season.
- The goal record of Cristiano Ronaldo is astonishing, even surpassing the total number of goals scored by some teams in the Spanish league. Hat trick for Cristiano Ronaldo. It's his 13th goal in
- You have to show yourself that you really are good.
- That's always my priority, to prove to myself that I still have the ability, that I can do better things, wanting to win more than other people, demonstrating that I'm better than others.
- Your son says that you're going to score two goals. One for me and one for him. - Yes, yes. A dream. - Yes. He said that to me. We'll win five-nil. God willing. Yes. Goodbye. Speak soon. Kisse
- The Ballon d'Or is obvious. I don't need to ask your opinion. But you'll be there on January 12th. Are you expecting an emotional reaction from Cristiano Ronaldo if he wins? I can only tell you I
- Well, that's OK. I'll organize it. You're going crazy! No, no. I was talking to someone here. With the father of a footballer who's going to be phenomenal. It's an extra motivation that he prods
- I'm the brother of the best footballer in the world and so I don't need anyone to notice me. I don't need that.
- My father taught me it's better to keep silent.
- My father used to say, "A silent person wins more."
- If I applied myself and trained, I'm sure I'd also be a footballer. I'm absolutely sure of it. I had some talent.
- Ronaldo could have gone down the wrong path. But he took the right path, and I was happy that he chose that path, working to become a footballer.
- I've had issues with addiction.
- I was already drinking at the age of 20. I worked for a long time with my father. I worked in construction. 30 years ago, everyone working in construction would drink alcohol. Everyone. I asked
- From the day I pulled myself together, Ronaldo has always helped me.
- We have to get away from people who are always in trouble.
- Addictions, drugs and alcohol won't get us anywhere.
- He knows that he made mistakes. He made some mistakes in life, and he's the first to admit that and these are moments he managed to overcome. And so for me today, he's someone that I trust with
- Like they say, if we won't help our family, who will we help?
- He might have gone through a bad period, but God gave him a new start which was having a perfect family. Thank you, brother, for all you've done. Thank you, brother, for all you've done.
- I can't. I can't. I can't now. OK. OK. Look! Do you know something? Do you have any idea what day it is today? Forget that! Call me after the game! Call me after the game!
- Hello. Will you give your godfather a kiss? Who will win? - Who will win? - Madrid! - Madrid! - Real Madrid. How many goals will Daddy score? Two? No, Four! Two is not enough. Four, four, fou
- I'm afraid of the other guy. He's the only one who can win the Ballon d'Or. Huh? - The other guy could destroy everything. - No. No, he won't.
- I think rivalry is always created by the press.
- The relationship with Messi, in the last year, was much better.
- We've spoken more about ourselves. He asked me about my injury, how my old injury was from the World Cup, asking about the family...
- I looked at him not as a rival but as a person who makes me a better player and I make him a better player.
- We are always busting our balls to see who's better.
- Penalty! Penalty! Penalty! Penalty! Penalty!
- Cristiano Ronaldo is at the ball. This is a spot he hardly ever misses from.
- Cristiano shoots and goal! An equalizer in El Clásico. 16 goals for Cristiano in La Liga, and the fifth penalty for the Portuguese player. They appear to be on the best form ever. Ronaldo and R
- The three points stay with Madrid at the Bernabéu. Real Madrid and the fans celebrate this very important victory for Carlo Ancelotti's team. A three-one win. The local team, Real Madrid, was u
- The people I trust the most and that I feel the most... Esteem. Esteem. - Esteem and friendship for. - And feel friendship for. If you want to talk, you can do it!
- But in fact the people I trust the most are present here. I want that to be clear. It's true. I'm saying it from the heart. I hope we can do this again because it'll mean we're happy and things
- Big Jorge didn't have anything either. He went around selling videotapes and... - And playing music. - And look at the man now. Straw hats. - And now he's always wearing Rolex. - This one's a fa
- Now for the best one, Jorge. You need a drink.
- As for my friend Hugo, I still remember the past and things that don't need to be talked about now. I'm proud of him because he overcame his adversities. To think back then, that we'd be here to
- Now, after the mother I had, you're the mother I'd like to have had.
- If I didn't know you, I'd ask you for an autograph.
- - Jorge... - You lost your glass somewhere. A toast to Jorge!
- Jorge is the best. Jorge. Top! Top, top, top.
- The Ballon d'Or is a day when your heart beats faster. You sweat more. You're more anxious, more tired, both psychologically and physically. It's a very intense day.
- My mother, my siblings, I feel they were also very nervous. Even Jorge Mendes. Everyone who was with me.
- It stays for life. People who like me, the family, the fans, they never forget about it because it's the climax of a year's work, of a career that started when I was 11 years old, playing foot
- It's a card inside an envelope that can change so much.
- My son accompanying his dad and seeing with his own eyes the glories of his father, that's unique. He's already proud of me. He shows off my trophies. That makes me an even happier person. You'
- You need to be very well behaved otherwise Daddy won't buy you anything tomorrow. Otherwise Daddy won't win. I always do. And will you cry? I will. I'm always the first one to cry.
- - Why are they shouting? - Because of the players. What did they call you when you went outside? Who's that guy there? Who's that guy over there? The one wearing a suit. Who is it?
- Are you OK? Yes? High-five him. What's up? Are you well?
- Are you being shy now? He's shy now. Who's that? He's being shy now. - Look at that shyness! - He can't believe it's him! - It's Messi. - Give Daddy a kiss. A kiss? Why?
- I'm always giving you kisses. He can't believe it. And why do you like playing football?
- You'll see that I'll end up without any teeth.
- Nearly there, nearly there... Wait!
- You see? Everything's possible. "And he was crazy for her!" Done!
- You're the best, man! The best!
- He was a child that I wanted to abort. God didn't want that to happen, and I was blessed because of that, and God did not punish me.
- Sometimes Ronaldo makes fun of me and says, "You didn't want me to be born." "But now you see that I'm here helping all of you." And, well, sometimes, we have a laugh about that.
- It's like a family relationship. And after that, I'm passionate about his game, about the way he plays, the way he dedicates himself. I see Cristiano like a son, like a real son.
- I've lived life's sorrows, so did Ronaldo, and life took a turn. It's been a journey. Life can really turn around. The world is round. He's our protector and he always helped us and everything
- He's going through a great moment of fame. He is, these days. I'm enjoying it greatly. - How does a father feel? - He's really standing out.
Self - Dolores Aveiro
Self - Hugo Aveiro
English Sports Presenter 1 (voice) - Georgie Bingham
English Sports Presenter 2 (voice) - Adrian Clarke
Self - Rio Ferdinand
Self - ClÁudia Garcia
Spanish Sports Presenter 1 (voice) - David Álvarez Izquierdo
Spanish Sports Presenter 2 (voice) - Rhiannon Jones
Portuguese Sports Presenter (voice) - Nelvino Lima
Self - Miguel Lopes Marques
Self - Rafael Navarrete MartÍnez
Self - Carla Mendes
Self - Jorge Mendes
Self - Lionel Messi
Dramatic VO (voice) - David Morrissey
Self - Miguel Paixão
Self - Florentino Pérez
Self - Ricardo Regufe
Self - Cristiano Ronaldo
Self - José Semedo
English Sports Commentator 1 (voice) - Mike Sewell