A headstrong Chinese-American woman returns to China when her beloved grandmother is diagnosed with terminal cancer. Billi struggles with her family's decision to keep grandma in the dark about her own illness as they all stage an impromptu wedding to see grandma one last time.
Director: Lulu Wang
Writer: Lulu Wang
Released: 09 Aug 2019
Movie Video Clips
- [Suz] Do you have a second to save marine life?
- Alright. I was gonna say something snarky, but... I used to work this job. Ooh, what happened girl? You got fired? I quit! Because I was about to get fired. [laughter]
- [Haiyan] So one day the wife goes out of town. And when she returns, the husband says... honey, the cat is dead. And she says "How can you tell me so abruptly like this? You have to ease me into b
- I love you, Nai Nai. I love you. I love you.
- [Shirley] For what month? For this month, May? And what happened to April? My mom says you didn't pay April yet. [sighs]
- You know if you moved out right now, we could literally double the rent?
- [Jian] So what, you're broke again? Are you always going to live like this? Poor but sexy, I hope so.
- [Jian] Why you not try to save, huh? You should change your expensive lifestyle. Mom, if you're going to give me shit every time I come home, I'm not coming home anymore. Lower your voice. Dad's s
- Busy with what? What's going on?
- Hao Hao's getting married, so we have to go to China. What? Since when? Hasn't he like just started dating that girl? You don't need to go. No one's expecting you to go. I mean, he's my only cous
- Do you think he knocked her up?
- How many wontons you want? Five. Five? That's not enough. -Make a dozen then. Ten's good.
- What's wrong, Dad? [Haiyan] Nothing.
- Please tell me what's going on. You're scaring me.
- Something's going on. Just tell me what's going on.
- She has stage four lung cancer. The doctor says she has three months. Could be faster, you never know.
- -I need to call her. -You can't do that. -I need to go see her. - Can't do that.
- She doesn't know. The family thinks it's better not to tell her. So you can't say anything.
- I don't understand. She doesn't have a lot of time left, she should know, right? There's nothing they can do. So everyone decided it's better not to tell her.
- Why is that better? Chinese people have saying, "when people get cancer they die."
- It's not cancer that kills them, it's the fear.
- OK, when were you guys gonna tell me this? How could you let me find out like this? How should I have told you? Oh, your grandma's on the roof?
- What about the wedding? The wedding is an excuse so everyone can go see her. We leave first thing in the morning.
- I need to go. [Haiyan] Billie. I need to go. [Jian] Everyone thinks it's better if you don't. Look at you. You can't hide your emotions. If you go now, Nai Nai will find out right away.
- ¶ Happy birthday to you Happy birthday to you ¶ ¶ Happy birthday dear Tony Happy birthday to you ¶ ¶ ¶
- Stop fooling around, oil is hot. Don't be mad, Mom.
- Where'd you get the money to buy a ticket? Credit card, right? Mom, I'm fine. Look at my face, look at my face, look at my face, look.
- So what's going on with the fellowship? Nothing. You still haven't heard anything? Well, when are they gonna let you know? [annoyed] I don't know, Dad.
- How are you doing with money? I'm fine. Can you afford this trip? Yes, I'm fine. You need help? No, I'm fine.
- What is "mei nu"? It means beauty.
- What's that mean? They say you're a stock investment and you're gonna make us a lot of money. Well we can't expect that from you, right? You are the losing stock.
- Mom, that church is not representative of all America. We have a lot of problems. Guns. Health care. If you think China that good, why don't you move here?
- -What happened? -I don't know.
- [shouting in Chinese] ¶ ¶ [Haiyan] Billi, it's the wrong way. [Billi] This way is fine. -We have to go around. -He says it's fine. [shouting in Chinese]
- Dad, do you know where we're going? -This way. -My umbrella...
- -Is this the right way? -Yes. Are you sure? ¶ ¶
- [Doctor Song] Visit from America? I went to school in the UK for many years. Oh, that's cool. Where do you live? Uh, I'm in New York. New York. I always wanted to visit New York. It's a very bea
- How bad is she? But you can tell me the truth. [Doctor Song] The cancer is quite advanced. [Billi] Shouldn't we tell her?
- [Doctor Song] In her situation, most families in China would choose not to tell her.
- When my grandmother had cancer, my family didn't tell her.
- Isn't it wrong to lie? -I mean if it's for good, it's not really a lie. -I mean, it's still a lie. It's a good lie. How's your grandmother? She passed away, a few months after she was diagnosed.
- illegal. How do you say illegal?
- Mom, can we not do this right now, please? Mom!
- Nai Nai should not be organizing this wedding. If she enjoys it then just let her do it. She's sick. She should be resting or in a hospital. Not stressing about a fake wedding. You really don't k
- You know when my father died, I was also very sad. But I don't act like you.
- When I went back to China for the funeral, everybody was watching me. They were all expecting me to fall apart. And they think if I don't cry, I don't love my father. No one's asking you to cry!
- I don't like, you know, put all my emotion on display, like I'm in the zoo.
- But in here, if you don't cry, you don't put on a show they think you don't love your family. You know in here, they even hire some professional criers. Just to show how sad they are. It's just so
- Pour, just pour. Yeah, pour, very good.
- [Billi] Wait! This looks so familiar.
- [Haiyan] Do you remember that house? You used to love to play in the garden. [Billi] Where is it?
- [Billi] Dad? Huh? [door closes] Are you smoking? Hm-mm. I thought you said you quit. I did. I will.
- What're you guys talking about? Nothing.
- -Mom? -Yeah? I want to stay in China and help take care of Nai Nai. What? You stay here, to do what? You can't cook, you can't clean.
- I'll figure it out, Mom. So you just stay here. And what? Wait for her to die? What about the fellowship? Just forget about it, huh? You're 30 years old, you can just stop your life and stay h
- And every day she has to look at you, with that sad looking face? That's not nice for anybody, right?
- You know, one of the few good memories of my childhood, were the summers at Nai Nai's. They had that garden. Ye Ye and I would catch dragonflies.
- And then we just moved to the States. Everything was different. Everyone was gone. And it was just the three of us. [sniffs]
- I know it was hard. It was hard for us too.
- I wanted to believe that it was a good thing,
- but all I saw was fear in your eyes. And I was confused and scared constantly because you never told me what was going on.
- And then Ye Ye died. You didn't even tell me he was sick. So it felt like he just... vanished suddenly. And you wouldn't even let me go to his funeral. You were at school. We didn't want you to
- And every time I came back to China, he just wasn't there anymore.
- And I come back and he's just gone.
- The house is gone, A Die's gone, our Beijing home is gone and soon she'll be gone, too.
- Does everyone know? I think most people don't know. But I'm not sure. Billi?
- I'm sorry. Sorry, how do you say congratulations? Dad? Gong xi! Gong xi Hao Hao Aiko! Thank you.
- ¶ And so I came to see her ¶ ¶ And listen for a while ¶
- ¶ And there he was this young boy ¶
- ¶ Strumming my pain with his fingers ¶
- ¶ Singing my life with his words ¶
- ¶ O gather up the brokenness ¶ ¶ And bring it to me now ¶ ¶ The fragrance of those promises ¶ ¶ You never dared to vow ¶ ¶ The splinters that you carry ¶ ¶ The cross you left behind ¶ ¶ Come hea
- ¶ Behold the gates of mercy ¶ ¶ In arbitrary space ¶ ¶ And none of us deserving ¶ ¶ The cruelty or the grace ¶ ¶ O solitude of longing ¶ ¶ Where love has been confined ¶ ¶ Come healing of the bo
- ¶ O see the darkness yielding ¶ ¶ That tore the light apart ¶ ¶ Come healing of the reason ¶ ¶ Come healing of the heart ¶
- ¶ O troubled dust concealing ¶ ¶ An undivided love ¶ ¶ The heart beneath is teaching ¶ ¶ To the broken heart above ¶ ¶ And let the heavens hear it ¶ ¶ The penitential hymn ¶ ¶ Come healing of th
- ¶ Oh let the heavens hear it ¶ ¶ The penitential hymn ¶ ¶ Come healing of the spirit ¶ ¶ Come healing of the limb ¶