The Great Wall
When a mercenary warrior (Matt Damon) is imprisoned within the Great Wall, he discovers the mystery behind one of the greatest wonders of the world. As wave after wave of marauding beasts besiege the massive structure, his quest for fortune turns into a journey toward heroism as he joins a huge army of elite warriors to confront the unimaginable and seemingly unstoppable force.
Director: Yimou Zhang
Writer: Carlo Bernard (screenplay), Doug Miro (screenplay), Tony Gilroy (screenplay), Max Brooks (story), Edward Zwick (story), Marshall Herskovitz (story)
Production: Universal Pictures
Released: 17 Feb 2017
Awards: 1 win & 1 nomination.
Movie Video Clips
Only you would carry a stupid magnet...
I set you free
Is there a chance
I've been left for dead twice
To be honored
You think they see you as some kind of...
Why are you here
The last time I saw you
Why did you go over the Wall
Look at this army
The TaoTei will return
She's very powerful here
- IT SPANS OVER 5500 MILES AND TOOK MO RE TH AN 1700 YEARS TO BUILD.
- IT PROTECTED FROM MANY DANGERS. SOME ARE KNOWN. SOME ARE LEGEND. THIS IS ONE OF THE LEGENDS.
- We have to turn back. We have been riding for six months. And we've lost 20 men. But we survived. Yes. By chance. Any one of us could have met that same fate. We were the strongest Remember w
- Too heavy. Useless. I'll have it.
- Amigo, only you would carry a stupid magnet through the desert. I can use it to make a compass.
- Rizzetti won't make it. The wound is festering. We'll be dragging a corpse. I heard that. He's earned the right to die where he wants.
- I've been left for dead twice. It was bad luck. For who? The people who left me. Maybe Rizzetti's right.
- Then what is it? Whatever it is, it's hunting.
- What was that? I don't know. I took its hand. - We need to move. - Agreed. I'll take the hand with us. What the hell for? So someone can tell me what I just killed.
- Persistent bastards, aren't they? We'll take the rise, make a stand there. What a long shitting way to go to die.
- I have no need to go down fighting. Agreed. I say we take our chances with the gents in front of us. I haven't surrendered in awhile, eh?
- Follow my lead, we'll be fine. Of course, my friend. Where you go, I follow. You're doing such a great job already.
- All Commanders to the Great Hall! All Commanders report to the General! Make way! Make way!
- Commander Lin is needed immediately! Calling Commander Lin! Commander Lin is needed immediately!
- They know what it is. And they don't look happy to see it. All the more reason to get the hell out of here. Our weapons are on that table.
- Have you lost your mind? I can take out the guards on the perimeter with my bow. You cut the legs out from under the officers. I must confess, this is not my favorite plan. Where was this found
- You speak English. Fantastic.
- Where was this found? It wasn't found. It was taken. That thing killed three men before we took it down. Where? Two days' ride. North, in the mountains. He says two days ride north, in the mo
- I'm listening, General. The two of them killed it? Two of you, you did this? Well... I killed it. Alone?
- He claims to have killed it alone. By himself? Impossible.
- Tell me how. A swing of the sword. The hand, it came away clean. The beast fell back into a chasm. Why are you here? We came to trade. We were ambushed. Guards!
- General. They claim to be traders who were ambushed.
- These barbarians are liars. Perhaps not. They brought the claw here. The wound is fresh. There is green blood on his sword. Those prove his story.
- To protect our secret... we must kill them. Eliminate the possibility of trouble. I agree. We should kill them!
- General. Until we find the truth... I advise we keep them alive. Alert! Alert!
- General, signals from the smoke towers! We are under attack! Take them to the stockade. All stations on full alert! All stations on full alert!
- Are you killing us, sister? Two lost travelers? What's happening here? Is this bitch going to kill us? I think she'd like that. If it is death, my dear, we need time to pray. I'm trying here.
- Sister, I know a siege when I see one. What comes at you so hard you need a wall like this? What the hell did we kill out there? Tao Tei. You killed a Tao Tei scout. You killed it alone. You'
- Hurry! I'm sorry, sir... I cannot find the key. Forget it! Bring them to the Wall. Keep an eye on them!
- General. It's finally happening. Yes. Sixty years preparing for this moment.
- The black are the foot soldiers. And the red? Those are the archers.
- And the blue? They're all women. What the hell do they do?
- Look at this army. Have you ever seen anything like this? Incredible.
- They look nervous. It's a big wall to be so nervous.
- Long distance weapons! Yes! Drums signal long distance weapons!
- Aim for the eyes! Aim for the eyes!
- General. There's the Queen! She commands them! Attack the Queen!
- Close combat! Yes! Close combat! Drums signal close combat!
- We need to move! We need to move or we die!
- What god made those things? None that we know.
- Think they'll hang us now? I could use the rest.
- You fought well today. You've earned General Shads praise. Will they come back? Yes. All we can do is prepare.
- Take them to the barracks. They need rest. Yes!
- Thank you for saving my life.
- Commander Lin. You grew up in the Nameless order. I've taught you many things... and you have been learning... but they have been learning also. Strategist Wang warned they are evolving. No one
- Watch the foreigners closely. They can never leave. We must protect the secrets of the Wall. Yes, sir!
- William. This is Tovar. What are you doing here? We came looking for black powder. I bet you did. I came with mercenaries for the same thing. Twenty-five years ago. And did you find it? Find
- You saved the west turret. That was extremely diplomatic. We weren't being diplomatic. We were trying to stay alive.
- You smell like animals. Thank you.
- Clean up and they'll feed you.
- He knows where the powder is.
- Then why is he still here? He needs help getting out? Right. We play our part, take the powder and go home. I didn't sign up for this. Which part? Well, all of it. But mostly the monsters. Th
- General Shao welcomes you as honored guests of the Nameless Order and thanks you for your skill and courage.
- We are honored to be honored.
- Is that the best you've got'?
- I couldn't help wondering... why would such an accomplished archer... use such a primitive bow.
- Commander Chen thinks your bow is not worthy of your skill. Tell him there's no better weapon here. He claims his weapon is second to none.
- Let him show us. Give him some space!
- They wish to see you shoot. In here? Unless he's afraid. It's a large audience. What was that? He thinks you have fear. Too many people.
- Get one of the cups. Now? Get one of the cups. I want to eat.
- You remember how to do this? Last time didn't go so good. We were drunk. How high? Ten yards. Six hands to the right. Turn around. No, I'll do it this way. On my count. Amigo”. One. Two. T
- Good luck with that. I want food. Who taught you English? Sir Ballard.
- English and Latin. Heard he's been here for 25 years. You won't let him leave. He must stay here. What about us?
- Pace yourself. The meals are regular here. I hope not to stay that long. I like your thinking, but I suggest you keep your plans private. You aren't the first Westerners to come here looking f
- I fought for Harold against the Danes. I saved a Duke's life. I fought for him until he died. Fought for Spain against the Franks. Fought for the Franks against Boulogne. I fought for the Pope
- Meet me on the Wall. I have something to show you.
- He should be careful with her. She's very powerful here. Then it is a fair contest.
- Men are too heavy. Do you think we can pull him up?
- She says men have so much to teach us.
- I don't think that's what she said. You know what I think? I think you're afraid.
- You said that this morning. And yet, here I am. Yes. Here you are.
- These men know what they're doing? Wrong question.
- Whether or not the cable is attached, that is the question.
- Xin ren. Xin ren means trust. To have faith. Here, in this army, we fight for more than food or money. We give our lives to something more.
- Xin ren is our flag. Trust in each other. In all ways, at all times.
- Well, that's all well and good, but I'm not jumping. I'm alive today because I trust no one. A man must learn to trust before he can be trusted. Then you were right. We're not the same.
- Stay vigilant! The next attack is coming.
- A taste, a glimpse. A few pilfered grains from Strategist Wang's supply of black powder. He's mastered the transmutation of these elements. People speak of a weapon. There are many weapons here.
- The Tao Tei will return. When the drums call to battle, the guards leave their posts and take their positions on the Wall. That is our moment. We want to be riding away as the battle rages.
- And the armory doors? You have keys? I have black powder. Enough for several doors. He brings us in. We get us out.
- Strategist Wang requests your presence.
- As you fought, where was this stone? In my bag.-
- Its unseen force is powerful. I believe this strange stone could help us.
- We try everything. Where are the Tao Tei now? The mountains, regrouping. Where do they come from? About 20 centuries ago, there was an emperor whose greed brought deep suffering to all of China.
- The capital, and its two million people, is only 800 If away. If the Tao Tei ever had that much nourishment, no corner of the world would be safe. You can't hunt them? Men try. They disappear.
- Why did they leave the bodies?
- They led us into a trap. We underestimated their intelligence.
- ...is yours to command. General... Commanders, this is my final order...
- ...from this day forward... Commander Lin will lead you.
- The soldiers of the Nameless order... will stand firm. The Wall must not fall! We will defeat the Tao Tei! Rest in peace. Rest in peace!
- This is envoy Shen from the palace. He has brought important records to help with the coming battle.
- This is a 900-year-old battle report. A 900-year-old battle report. At the Hansha gates, three beasts mounted the Wall. They killed many men as they went forward. Then, by the grace of the anc
- and sat peacefully as we slaughtered them. There was a magnet on site just like this one. At the Hansha Gate, was a magnet just like this one. I believe that magnet was the reason that two of y
- How to prove it? How can we be sure? Why not try it?
- Capture a Tao Tei. See if it works. He wants to try. He wants to catch one. How? No net is strong enough. Hunt them. Like a whale. You know what that is. Uh... A water beast. Hundred times
- Be injured. Be missing. Be a coward. Get out of this.
- The mixture must be strong... ...to put the creatures to sleep.
- Spread it on evenly. Yes, Commander!
- Useless idiot! Report to the kitchen where you belong! Yes, Commander.
- He'll be here. When? When it's over? We start and he will find us. Start? We're jumping off a cliff here. I have everything. Powder, tools, maps. It's all hidden and arranged along the route.
- I'll find him. Forget him. He'd rather die trying to impress the new general than grab the key to every counting room and brothel in the world. Good God, man. The time is now! I can't go witho
- There! Move! It's the last one!
- Pull! No, no, no. Stop! Hold! There's too much tension. Chain will break. That way. That way. Let him run!
- Stop! Stop! We need longer for the sleeping potion to work.
- We need to isolate it. Separate it from the others. Ring of fire!
- The chain won't hold much longer! We're losing it!
- William, wait. Screaming arrows! Yes! Screaming arrows! These arrows will scream as the Tao Tei run. Aim for the sound.
- Aim inside the circle. Blanket the whole area.
- I'm only saving you so I can kill you myself.
- Grab an ax, we're fighting blind.
- The fire's not holding them back. Die well, brother.
- What the hell are you doing? She's listening.
- Prepare black powder weapons! Prepare black powder weapons!
- Did it work? Yes. The beast was captured. My friend... He was unharmed.
- Why did you go over the Wall?
- It is a terrible weapon. It would be better if you had never seen it.
- I know very little of the outside world. But it seems to me, the greed of men is not that different from the Tao Tei. Is that true? The strong take what they want.
- Excellent! Send it to the capital immediately. We need to study it here. If a Tao Tei is captured alive, it must be sent to the Emperor. This is an Imperial order.
- Hmm? You're much braver than they think.
- I was looking for you. To say thank you.
- You feel good, huh? Maybe you sing a little song, eh? I will join you. We can sing together how you saved the grateful chinos. You saw what happened out there and that's what you say? I see bl
- I see a man forget his friends. The black powder's not going anywhere. What goes nowhere is you.
- You'll never get what you want from this. You think they see you as some kind of hero? A man of virtue? Maybe you can fool them, but I know what you are. You know what you are. A thief, a lia
- And you can never undo the things you have done, and you will never be anything.
- Good to see you again, amigo.
- Tao Tei movement! Tao Tei movement! Tao Tei movement! All troops to the Wall! All troops to the Wall!
- Nothing? No. How do you know he won't betray us? I don't. They'll kill him. They'll kill him no matter what. The time they spend killing him
- is time they are not chasing us.
- Careful with that. There's powder here.
- General, it goes all the way through. Tao Tei have breached the Wall. They're smarter than we thought. Summon my commanders immediately! Yes, General.
- Have a look. See if it's gone out. Is it safe? Of course it is.
- I thought you said it was safe'? We're in, aren't we?
- You're here. We've come to our senses, eh'? Ballard has planned well. Getting out is easy. There's a gate. 20 miles west. We dodge the hill tribes. We can make it. They need us here. They nee
- Think he's dead? It'd take a lot more than that.
- All of the attacks have been a diversion... while they dug this tunnel. They have breached the Wall. once they reach the capital... nothing in the world can stop them. At a full gallop... it's t
- General... none of the tests have worked.
- How did you capture it? Your Excellency... Your Excellency! It's the magnet! It keeps the beast under control. This is the most important discovery... in the history of the Tao Tei. We will inv
- I tried to stop them... You dare to speak to me?
- I didn't do this. And you came here to trade. And you knew nothing of black powder.
- What a fool you must think I am. If I was with them, why would I be here? I tried to stop them. I tried... Liar! You lie. Some part of you knows that's not true. If I were not the General, I
- I was there when it happened. I saw him try to stop them.
- If you're lying, I'll have your head! I swear on my vow to the Nameless order!
- Lock him up. Send the cavalry. Go after the two that got away. Yes, General.
- Which way, left or right? Go up and take a look from the high ground.
- Keep it steady! Yes, General! Watch the powder!
- What happened? We have failed. The Tao Tei are in the Kingdom. You are free to leave. Take what you wish and go. This was the General's final order. Where is she?
- To do what? To fight? Is there a chance? There's only one. Kill the Queen. Kill the Queen, or we all die. Leave. Tell the world what you have seen, and tell them what is coming.
- If I'm to join you, I'll need my bow.
- Strategist Wang! Please take me with you. He wishes to join us.
- Distance is the key. The magnet is only effective when close to the beast. Therefore... the effect weakens as it gets further away. You see I have it under complete control.
- No, don't throw that thing near fire!
- Steer to the rear of the palace.
- I sei you free. And here I am. There's the Queen!
- They will not attack while the Queen is feeding. We have a chance! Hold on!
- General Lin Mae of the Nameless order. At your service!
- What took you so long? The Tao Tei have overrun the city! Thousands of soldiers and innocents are dead. You're too late! Where is the captured Tao Tei? In the dungeon! We need it to kill the Qu
- There is an underground canal here. Has it been breached? The Tao Tei should all be above ground. And the one we captured? We load it up. We feed it. And it will return to its Queen. Good.
- You'll have one hell of a scar, but you'll live. He says you will live. We'll come back for him.
- And it will go to the Queen when it's done? It should.
- Go higher. I'll get a better shot.
- General! It's up to you now!
- We have one black powder weapon left. Give me the spear.
- I've trained for this my whole life.
- So, how's life without me? A little slow.
- You're a hero after all. Well, it looks that way. You seem pleased with yourself. And what are they giving you for all of your troubles? A bag of gold? A victory parade along the top of the Wal
- You know, the Emperor gave me a choice. I could take the black powder, or I could take you.
- Please tell me you chose the powder?
- I don't even know you anymore.
- The horses are saddled and waiting. Best we ride before nightfall.
- I'll be inside. Don't leave without me.
- I understand congratulations are in order. General of the northwest territory. That's quite an honor.
- Seems you've made your choice. Him? Believe me, I'm already thinking about trading him back for the powder. I heard that.
- Perhaps we were both wrong. We are more similar than I thought.
- Are you sure you don't want to go back? Of course I do.
William - Matt Damon
Commander Lin Mae - Tian Jing
Ballard - Willem Dafoe
Strategist Wang - Andy Lau
Tovar - Pedro Pascal
General Shao - Hanyu Zhang
Peng Yong - Han Lu
Commander Chen - Kenny Lin
Commander Wu - Eddie Peng
Commander Deng - Xuan Huang
Shen - Ryan Zheng
Emperor - Karry Wang
Imperial Officer - Cheney Chen
Bouchard - Pilou AsbĂ¦k
Najid - Numan Acar
Rizzetti - Johnny Cicco
Lieutenant Xiao Yu (as Xintian Yu) - Vicky Yu
Lin Mae's 2nd Lieutenant Li Qing - Bing Liu
General Zhang - Stephen Chang