A love story set in a dystopian near future where single people are arrested and transferred to a creepy hotel. There they are obliged to find a matching mate in 45 days. If they fail, they are transformed into an animal and released into the woods.
Director: Yorgos Lanthimos
Writer: Yorgos Lanthimos, Efthymis Filippou
Production: A24 Films
Released: 16 Oct 2015
Awards: Nominated for 1 Oscar. Another 31 wins & 71 nominations.
Movie Video Clips
That's why we only play electronic music
You will be assigned children
Now have you thought of what animal...
As he was playing golf
We're in danger
It's no coincidence that the targets are...
Can I come to your room sometime for a...
Can you imagine why I brought you to...
As an animal you'll have a second chance...
She had a post graduate degree I think
Where were you
I hope she dies right away
And cut off its head
The last thing I want right now is a...
I've got blood on your shirt
I'm very happy
Do you love her
What blood type are you
Thank you very much
I think we are a match
I'm going to do it with a knife
Some punishments are worse than other...
- [David's wife] I'm really sorry. Does he wear glasses or contact lenses? Glasses.
- [door buzzer rings] [dog barks] You'll have to hurry up. [dog whimpers softly]
- [female narrator] He decided that his brown leather shoes were the best pair to wear. His back hurt a little, but not like some other times in the past, when the pain was intolerable.
- He was thinking his wife didn't love him at all anymore.
- He didn't burst into tears, and he didn't think that the first thing most people do when they realize someone doesn't love them anymore is cry.
- [receptionist] Sir, do you mind taking a look into the camera here for me? [camera beeps, shutter clicks] That'll do, thank you. [typing]
- [dog barks] Have you ever been on your own before? No, never. - Are you allergic to any foods? - No. Your last relationship lasted how many years? Around 12. Do you remember how long exactly
- However, I had one homosexual experience in the past, in college. Is there a bisexual option available? No, sir, this option is no longer available since about last summer, due to several opera
- I think I should be registered as a heterosexual.
- - Any children, sir? - No. And the dog? My brother. He was here a couple of years ago, but he didn't make it. You might remember him. Medium build, 48 years old, bald patch, blond hair. [dog
- That will do. Thank you very much. Okay, so you are not allowed to use the volleyball or the tennis courts. These are only for the couples. You can use the facilities for individual sports, suc
- [maid] I'm afraid you cannot keep any of your personal belongings. We will provide everything you need as far as garments, accessories and shoes are concerned. You can keep this. - Thank you.
- If you need a haircut, call reception one day ahead. Smoking is not allowed. That way, you'll be able to run for longer during the hunt without getting tired, and your breath won't smell when y
- Excuse me. If we need to get a haircut, we must call the reception the day before, is that right? - That's right. - Great.
- A tranquilizer gun was hanging on the wall above his bed.
- On the table were 20 tranquilizer darts, a black plastic watch, a pair of sunglasses, and a cologne for men.
- Inside the wardrobe were four identical grey trousers, four identical button down shirts, in white and blue, a belt, socks, underwear, a blazer, a striped tie, and a white bathrobe.
- He looked out the window. The unconscious bodies of the captured loners were lying on the wet ground.
- "Thank God they wear those waterproof ponchos," he thought. [maid, muffled] Room 195. [maid, muffled] Room 195. Two loners, two extra days.
- Room 272. One loner, one extra day. [knock on door]
- ...and stay fertile all their lives. I also like the sea very much. I water-ski and swim quite well, since I was a teenager. I must congratulate you. The first thing most people think of is a
- [Bob barking] This is to show you how easy life is when there are two of something rather than just one. We tend to forget that from time to time. The handcuff will be removed at the same time
- [speaker beeps] [recorded voice] Good morning. Room 101. 44 days left. Breakfast is served. [speaker beeps]
- [female narrator] His first day was one he'd never forget.
- Near his table at breakfast sat a young woman with her head tilted back. Later, he would learn that she often got nosebleeds. Next to her, sat her best friend.
- [inaudible] He thanked the waiter who served him his coffee, then thought about his wife for a moment. A woman who seemed to like butter biscuits offered one to a man drinking a Campari and so
- He then looked behind him and saw a woman, who he would later find out was absolutely heartless.
- And some others in the couples area, whom he'd never meet during his stay at the hotel.
- That morning he was really hungry. He could've eaten a whole chicken, but ate almost nothing. [John] Hello. Hello. I've decided to go for a walk outside with my new friend. Let me introduce
- [Robert] One of these days, it's gonna be me on one of those yachts. [David] What are those yachts? [Robert] The final ordeal before letting you go, and the hardest one. 15 days of vacation, ju
- - Have you seen John's leg? - No. John, would you show your leg?
- My mother was left on her own when my father fell in love with a woman who was better at math than she was.
- She had a postgraduate degree, I think, whereas my mother was only a graduate. I was 19 at the time.
- My mother entered the hotel, but didn't make it and was turned into a wolf. I really missed her.
- I found out she'd been moved to a zoo. I often went there to see her. I'd give her raw meat. I knew wolves liked raw meat, but I couldn't figure out which of the wolves was my mother so I used
- One day, I decided to enter the enclosure.
- I really missed her and I wanted a hug. I climbed the fence and jumped in. All the wolves charged at once and attacked me. All but two, who stood motionless. My guess is that one of those two
- The zoo guards got to me quite quickly and took me to the hospital. Thankfully I didn't lose my leg. I just have this limp, which is also my defining characteristic.
- My wife died six days ago. She was very beautiful and I loved her very much.
- [hotel manager] Thank you, John. You can return to your seat.
- Let's move on to our next guest. Room 104, day two.
- This is only my second day here, but already I feel like a member of a wonderful group. My defining characteristic is that I have a very beautiful smile.
- [operatic voice] ♪ Something's gotten hold of my heart ♪ ♪ Keeping my soul and my senses apart ♪ ♪ Something has gotten into my life ♪ Have you ever danced with anybody? Sorry? - Have you eve
- What sort of dancing did you do?
- Do you need to sit down? No, no, no. I'm getting ready to dance.
- Sorry. ♪ ...And the feeling inside shook my heart ♪ ♪ Made me want you to stay ♪ ♪ All of my life... ♪ - Can I sit here? - Of course.
- Let me introduce you to my best friend.
- That woman you were talking to has no feelings whatsoever. She feels nothing at all. She's the best hunter in the hotel, silent and very fast. She's the women's record holder. 192 captives. ♪ C
- ♪ You touch me and my mind goes astray ♪ ♪ And baby ♪ ♪ And baby ♪ ♪ Something's gotten hold of my hand ♪ ♪ Dragging my soul to a beautiful land ♪ ♪ Somethings gotten into my life... ♪ I'm s
- ♪ You came my way ♪ ♪ You came my way ♪ ♪ And a feeling I know shook my heart ♪ ♪ Made me want you to stay ♪ ♪ All of my nights, and all of my days ♪ I think I have to rest for a little bit.
- [hotel manager] Leave the room in an orderly fashion. Do hurry up, but please be careful. Nobody needs to get hurt or injured. And good luck with the hunt. [indistinct conversation]
- I wish I didn't have this limp.
- I used to be very good at running, but not anymore. I'm sure I'll be slower than them. If I were you, I'd think of some tricks that use the element of surprise instead of speed. You're right.
- [maid] Room 186. One loner, one extra day. 38 days stay left, plus one, 39.
- Room 180. The days of your stay remain unchanged. Room 290. Four loners, four extra days. 154 days left, plus four, 158.
- Room 101. The days of your stay remain unchanged.
- [recorded voice] 32 days left. Breakfast is served. [speaker beeps]
- - How many darts did you use yesterday? - 12.
- Please take off your trousers and sit on the bed.
- Can we not do this today? It's awful. I know, but I'm afraid we have to do it. And you have no idea how much it helps you psychologically in your search for a partner. [hotel manager] Man eats
- [hotel manager] Is your room number 186? [Robert] Yes, it is. [silverware clinking] I imagine you know that masturbation is not permitted in the rooms or any other area of the hotel. Yes. An
- Today, you became erect quicker than on other days. That's good. Please, just a little longer. Have a good day. [Bob barks] That's awful. Just awful. Were you looking at a photograph - while
- A naked woman on a horse, in the country. If I were in your shoes, I would not be ogling the naked woman, but the horse. I'm sure that horse was once a weak and cowardly man, just like you. Wom
- Help. Help. Help. This is not necessary. Please. It was an accident. I just got carried away. This is not necessary. Please, place your hand in the toaster. This could be a warning. I-I've
- Ow! Ow! Ow! [crying] Ow! Ow! Ow! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Please! Please! Please! I'm sorry! [screams] Woman walks with man.
- [quiet chatter] What they do, as soon as you enter the room, is to wash your body and your head really well. [Robert] How do you know? My uncle used to know a waiter who worked here. No waite
- - New guests arrived yesterday. - Yes, I saw. I think I saw a woman with a limp. It's just a sprained ankle.
- She'll be walking normally again in a few days. That's a shame.
- That is a shame, indeed. [loud alarm blares] [music playing throughout] [female narrator] One night, on the coach, he sat next to the woman who liked butter biscuits. He gazed out of the window
- These biscuits are for Bob. I want you to give them to him whenever you want to reward him for something. - Tell him they're from me. - Thank you. Can I come to your room some time for a chat?
- I hope I catch some loners tonight. Haven't caught any in the last few nights. - Hope you catch lots too. - Thank you very much.
- If I don't find a suitable partner soon, I'm gonna kill myself by throwing myself out of one of the rooms.
- I want you to know that. My room is on the first floor. [female narrator] "I hope I catch some loners today," she said. "And I hope you catch lots too." She then told him that if she didn't fin
- When she stopped talking, he stared at her blankly, not knowing what to say.
- He then looked out at the woods and thought once more how good his excuse had been. [air rifle whooshes] Not bad. Bit higher.
- Have you thought about what animals you wanna be - if you don't make it? - [air rifle whooshing throughout] A lobster.
- [Robert] I'm gonna be a parrot if I don't make it.
- Why don't you become parrots too? And then we'll all be together. You're a complete idiot! Picking one of the few animals that can talk when you have a speech impediment. You'll lisp, even as an
- It's no coincidence that the targets are shaped like single people and not couples.
- Hello. - Hello. - Your swimsuit is very nice. Thank--
- - Thank you very much. - You're welcome. Do you like to swim breaststroke, front crawl, butterfly or backstroke? I like all strokes equally. You know, I love breaststroke. No, really. My frie
- [John] When swimming breaststroke, men shouldn't wear swim shorts, as it really limits movement in the buttocks. But you knew that, didn't you? - I think your nose is bleeding. - Really?
- This happens to me all the time. It's really, really annoying. I know. I have a nosebleed problem too.
- [David] I saw what you did. Must've hurt.
- - Yes. - Can I use a tissue? Yes.
- I'm gonna ask you a question and I want you to answer me honestly. What's worse: to die of cold and hunger in the woods, to become an animal that will be killed and eaten by some bigger animal,
- To become an animal that will be killed and eaten by some bigger animal. - Exactly. - Mm. She doesn't suspect that you're lying?
- [hotel manager] I'm very happy because we have a new couple. They met just two days ago, but they're very much in love and perfectly suited. They both have the same problem with their noses. Th
- Tomorrow they'll be transferred to a double room with a larger wardrobe and a larger bathroom. They will remain in the double room for two weeks, and then they'll be transferred to the yachts f
- - I'm very happy. - Me too. Congratulations. The course of your relationship will be monitored closely by our staff and by me personally. If you encounter any problems, any tensions, any arguin
- [recorded voice] Good morning. Room 101. Seven days left. Breakfast is served. [speaker beeps]
- You have really nice hair. I know. Look.
- How do you like mine? Well, I think you have quite dry hair. The color is okay, though. The most important thing is that you're not bald. However, when it comes to men, baldness is always a po
- Have you decided what you're going to do on your last day?
- So, today is your last day, and, as is customary, you can choose how you would like to spend your last night. What I always say in these situations is, it would be wise to choose something you
- "We always sat together at school and whenever I had a problem, I'd talk to you about it, because you always gave the best advice. When we didn't manage to find dance partners at the school pro
- I'd like to watch the film Stand By Me, with River Phoenix, Kiefer Sutherland and Richard Dreyfuss. Alone. [hotel manager] Excellent choice. Lovely film.
- [speaker beeps] [recorded voice] Please leave a message. [speaker beeps] [biscuit woman on phone] Hello. You're probably in the bathroom and that's why you can't hear the phone ring. Nothing
- [music playing] [female narrator] One day, as he was playing golf, he thought that it is more difficult to pretend that you do have feelings when you don't than to pretend you don't have feeling
- He also thought that he liked her accent, and he'd always preferred women with short hair. So he decided that she was the one. During the hunt, he would follow her, and as soon as she shot a lo
- What happened? She jumped from the window of room 180. There's blood and biscuits everywhere. I hope she dies right away.
- On second thoughts... I hope she suffers quite a bit before she dies. I just hope her pathetic screams can't be heard from my room, because I was thinking about having a lie down and I need pea
- [recorded voice] One message. [biscuit woman's voice] Hello. You're probably in the bathroom and that's why you can't hear the phone ring. Nothing like a cold shower in the morning. Well, I'l
- I think we are a match. Yes, I think so too.
- [hotel manager] The keys to the double room, please. [applause]
- I wish you the best of luck. We all wish you the best of luck.
- [David] Do you normally sleep on the left side of the bed or the right? [heartless woman] The right. You? [David] The left. Perfect.
- Should I turn off the light or would you like to read? I'd like to read. Does the light bother you? No. I'm not bothered by light or noise. I'm a deep sleeper.
- - [John] Hello. - Hello. - Congratulations. - Thank you. This is our new daughter. Her name's Elizabeth. Elizabeth, give the nice man a kiss. He's a friend of mine. The last thing I want right
- - [John] Oh! - [Elizabeth crying] Come on, move away. Don't cry, Elizabeth. You should thank me. Now you'll have a limp and be more like your father.
- [David grunts] What was that sound? Did you say something? Do you mind if we fuck in a position where I can see your face? Sure.
- Turn the light on, please, so I can see you better.
- Morning. I killed your brother. I left him to die very slowly. He may not be dead yet, even as we speak. I was kicking him for ages. It doesn't matter. He whined a little, a strange kind of ba
- It must have been from the pain. - You didn't hear anything? - No. You really are a deep sleeper. - Would you like some coffee? - I'd love some. As soon as I wash my face and brush my teeth, t
- I can't wait to hear the story you promised to tell me last night about that student of yours at the university and his awful final project.
- It's really a very funny story. His name was Ryess. R-Y-E-S-S. Ryess.
- [crying] These aren't tears, it's just water. I just washed my face. I knew you were lying. I can't understand why you did it, when you know as well as anyone that a relationship cannot be buil
- I saw your partner running back that way. He looked frantic. Is everything okay?
- [female narrator] At first, he wanted to kill her in some horrible and painful way, like the death she had inflicted on his brother. [talking indistinctly] He thought about kicking her in the s
- But then he thought there wouldn't be much point, because she was already unconscious and wouldn't feel any pain from the kicks or the knife.
- You have to shoot me, so they won't suspect I helped you. [female narrator] A hotel maid helped him. He couldn't understand why she did it. [keypad beeping]
- So he decided to turn her into an animal. He dragged her to the room where the transformations took place. I asked him many times what sort of animal he turned her into, but he always gave me t
- That night he left the hotel, once and for all.
- He began to run without knowing where he was headed. But he was headed towards us.
- This was the start of his new life.
- And back then he didn't know how much it hurts to be alone...
- ...how much it hurts when you cannot reach to rub pain relief ointment on your back and you are constantly in pain.
- [man] I found him in the woods. He escaped from the hotel. - Are you a doctor, by any chance? - [David] No. That's a pity. We need a doctor around. We had one, but they caught him a couple of m
- By the way, any romantic or sexual relations between loners are not permitted. And any such acts are punished. Is that clear?
- Can I have a conversation with someone? Of course you can, so long as there is no flirting or anything like that. That applies to dance nights as well. You all dance by yourselves, that's why
- He can't speak. He was given the Red Kiss.
- What's the Red Kiss? We slashed his lips with a razor and the lips of another loner and we forced them to kiss each other. That was a couple of days ago now, but the cuts were deep and they're
- [female narrator] Some punishments are worse than other punishments.
- Having your thumb cut is worse than having your head shaved, and having a hot boiled egg under your armpit is worse than having your leg kicked. The punishment I'm afraid of isn't the Red Kiss,
- [female narrator] That was the first time I saw him. He was hiding behind a tree close to mine. He seemed quite presentable. The next day, in the city, he found out that I was short-sighted too
- That night, in my sleep, I dreamt that we lived in a big house together in the city, with a large, well-lit kitchen, and I was wearing dark blue trousers and a tight cream blouse. And he took my
- And as he was fucking me, a thug came into the kitchen and took the steak knives from the second drawer and attacked us, stabbing the knives into our bellies, one by one. I woke up terrified. [
- Try harder. Don't give up. You know you should've been more careful.
- Try harder or they'll find you and you'll be turned into an animal. - A weak one. - [loners chuckle] We must get a move on now. It's really too dangerous to stay here. If you manage to free your
- I'm going to go hunting for truffles. They are delicious and quite rare. A kilo can fetch a lot of money. You're going to need a pig. They're impossible to find otherwise. - I know. - Don't b
- [breathing hard] Hello, David. Hello, Robert.
- What you did to that woman was dreadful. [David] She killed my brother. I would have done the same thing if she'd killed you. You're like a brother to me. Oh, you're my best friend in the whole
- Nevertheless, did John make it?
- [sighs] They're getting ready for the yacht. It all begins this week. Everyone says they're going to make it as they're perfectly suited and the child will help them get past the fighting and th
- Are you gonna shoot me? I'm afraid so. I only have two days left. What did you say? I can't understand the way you speak. I'm going to shoot you. I only have two days left. I need more time. D
- Don't tell anyone I helped you. If you want to repay me, there is a way. If you kill a rabbit, bring it to me to eat.
- - Do you promise? - Yes. - Bye. - Bye.
- [female narrator] You carefully flay the rabbit with a sharp knife, and cut off its head.
- You then slice open its belly and stuff it with well-washed red and green peppers, not too spicy, and a little garlic and mint.
- You then soak it in lemon juice and leave it a while to marinate the flesh, before you skewer it on a stick and roast it over the fire for about an hour.
- That's my favorite food. Rabbit.
- [policewoman] Woman. Brunette. 50 years old. Marriage certificate expired two months ago. My husband's away on a business trip. Yeah, okay. Can I have a look? [people chattering]
- No dirt under her nails or mud on her shoes. 9 Belsize Road. - So your husband is away? - Yes. - Where? - Bath. Good morning, sir. Are you here alone? Good morning, Officer. No, I'm here wit
- Oh, here she is. I'm sorry, darling. They had such a huge variety of pain relief ointment. I bought you this one. I hope it's the one you were looking for. That's wonderful, dear. - Can I have
- If I'm walking too slowly, just say and I'll pick up my pace. This pace is fine. Maybe don't squeeze my hand so tightly, my palm's getting a little sweaty. Maybe don't squeeze my hand so tightly,
- Are you planning on buying anything else nice for yourself while we're here? Yes, contact lens solution and a Parker Rollerball. I didn't know you were short-sighted.
- Will you stay a few days? [loner leader] I'm afraid not, Papa. We're heading back again today. Tomorrow I'm going away on a business trip. You know how demanding my job is. Don't ask if I can
- - Yes. - Yes. My daughter says me it's a very fine company. Do you agree? -It's a rather good company. - It is. One of the best, I'd say. The only problem with the job is that I don't have en
- We have four beautiful children. Congratulations. - Thank you. - Thank you.
- But even if we'd never had children, I would never dream of leaving my wife. Even if it was just the two of us, on our own, we'd go on trips. We'd go to Portofino in Italy, or go to a Greek is
- I love... my wife so much. I could die for her.
- [loner leader] For your first day in the city, you did great. That part about holiday destinations in the Mediterranean was brilliant. Thank you very much.
- When did you become short-sighted? When I was 16. - You? - When I was 12. What was the make of your first pair of glasses? I don't remember. - Do you have astigmatism too? - Yes.
- Would you like me to rub some balm on your back... ...on the bits you can't reach on your own?
- - Here? - A little lower, please. - Here? - Yes.
- [loner leader] "Hello, everyone, and good luck. The room numbers are as follows. Room 306, the hotel manager and her partner. They both-- they both have nice voices. Room 240, couple who both
- You and you take 306. You and you take 240. You take 282. And you two take the yacht. Can I go to the yacht? Okay, then. So you take the yacht. And you take 282. And us three, we'll take the
- [waiter] ...you need to speak with the manager. [air rifle whooshes]
- Put your hand behind your back.
- A basketball weighs between 550 and 650 grams. - Did you know that? - No, I didn't know that. Yes.
- The weight's different for men's and women's games, but that's roughly how much it weighs. Do you know how much a volleyball weighs? No, but I'd like to find out. - Good evening. - Good evenin
- How much do you love her, on a scale of one to 15?
- [loner leader] 14 is a very impressive score. He loves her very much indeed. Who do you think we should kill? Who will be able to live on their own better?
- Here is a knife, Mum! Kill him! You'd better get out while you still can. Okay. That's all I came to say, anyway.
- You. If this woman dies... ...do you think you'll manage on your own or will you get involved with someone else? No. I can live alone, she can't.
- I'm on my own for hours when she's running the hotel.
- I like sitting in the room. It relaxes me... calms me. I like it a lot.
- I can definitely live on my own. - [hotel manager cries out] - Be quiet.
- [muffled] No! No! No! No, God, no! [muffled cries]
- [barely audible music on headphones]
- Where were you? I was looking for you. I was masturbating behind those trees over there.
- Why aren't you dancing? My leg's a little sore.
- - Did you dig your grave? - Not yet. I don't mean to pressure you or to ruin the mood now that we're celebrating, but, at some point, you'll have to do it. Don't expect anyone else to dig your
- - Enjoy the rest of your evening. - Thank you.
- [barely audible music continues]
- [maid] As soon as his last patient left, I entered his office and I said to him: "Honey, the dinner is ready. However, I'm not sure I can eat right now. One of my front teeth hurts a lot. Can
- Did you catch rabbits? No, someone brought me them. - Who? - A friend of mine. - Do you want one? - No.
- You don't need to accept rabbits from other people. If you need more rabbits, just ask and I'll bring you more.
- Catching a rabbit is difficult, but I'll try to do better. There's no need for you to be indebted to the others. Thank you very much. The man who brought you the rabbits... is he short-sighted?
- Is that a sparrow up in that tree?
- I can't really see that far, but I don't think so. - Are you short-sighted? - No. - You're lying. -It's the truth.
- What does it say here? YKK. You knew that already. All zips say the same thing. I'm not short-sighted. I don't understand why you won't believe me. I can see really clearly. I used to be a pil
- Let me see. I wanna see your eyes. Look up. Look up.
- - Up, up. [man groans] Look down now. Look left. Look right. Up again.
- I'm sorry. I-I thought you were trying to fool me.
- For this synchronization exercise, we have to fully concentrate, as we both have to press play at exactly the same time. Why don't we just use one headset? Because that's the whole point. This
- Five, four, three, two... [music barely audible on headphones]
- [female narrator] We've developed a code, so that we can communicate with each other, even in front of the others, without them knowing what we are saying. When we turn our heads to the left,
- We had to be very careful in the beginning not to mix up "I love you more than anything in the world" with "Watch out, we're in danger." When we raise our left arm, it means: "I want to dance i
- Stop it! That's enough! Show my parents some respect. They are playing you music. [mother] That's okay. No, Mother. It is not okay. Please continue. Do you want us to perform the same piece
- Didn't her parents play beautifully?
- Yes, they did. It was wonderful.
- [music playing throughout] [female narrator] We love each other and we suit each other, and that's the reason why we've decided to leave the woods and stay together forever in the city.
- Tomorrow, during the hunt, we're going to disappear and everyone will think we've been captured and that we're going to be turned into dogs or canaries or something.
- I think the first thing I'm going to do when I get into the city is buy a bathrobe, and then we'll go to a pool with a high diving board, perfect for diving. "And we'll do lots of different thi
- "Portofino: Italian fishing village, an upmarket resort famous for its picturesque harbor. Population, 439. Beaches nearby: Paraggi Beach, Camogli, Chiavari and Lavagna. Serifos: Greek island
- Can you imagine why I brought you to such a quiet place today?
- Because I think it's the perfect spot for your grave.
- Now cover yourself with soil. Use your hands.
- Over your face, too. You wouldn't want your face to get eaten by dogs, would you?
- If you die before me, I'll visit you as often as I can. I promise.
- I think we should leave right now.
- The three of us coming here instead of two or four of us is very dangerous. Why didn't we think of that earlier? Highly likely the doctor will suspect us. I suggest that we leave the first cha
- - Isn't it wonderful? - Yes, it is. Still, I'd like a few days just to think it over, so that... I can maybe have the surgery when we next come to the city?
- [loner leader] What's there to think about? If it's better to see clearly or to be short-sighted? Is that it? That's absurd. You know that. Anyway, this doctor is the best there is, and it's r
- [loner leader] Throw down your knife and stand up.
- Why did you have to blind me? You could have blinded him. I have no idea what you're talking about. The drugs are messing with your head. If I were you, I would try and be a little braver about
- Let go of my hair. You're hurting me. [grunting]
- [weakly] Just think that, when someone goes blind, one of their other senses... is heightened.
- [loner leader] You could also catch a dog in the woods and train it to guide you. Dogs can do that, you know. I'll help you catch a dog myself. Now calm down, or I'm going to leave you here an
- [David] Are you enjoying the view? Sure.
- I was cutting a tree branch with a knife and I cut myself by accident. You look handsome today. Did you get your hair cut? Thank you. No, I didn't get a haircut. I'm going to get my hair cut t
- Are you ready for tonight? Of course I am.
- I want to tell you something, but please don't be angry.
- Okay. What's wrong? I can't see anything. - I'm blind. - What do you mean? There's no point in lying to you, you'll find out sooner or later. Our leader blinded me in the city. She must have r
- And when you asked if I'd had my hair cut?
- ...so you wouldn't realize that I can't see.
- [sobbing] I'm sorry. Don't cry. Crying will make your eyes hurt more.
- ♪ From the first time I saw her, I knew she was the one ♪ ♪ As she stared in my eyes and smiled ♪ ♪ And her lips were the color of roses ♪ ♪ That grew down the river, all bloody and wild ♪
- Do you like berries? Blueberries? Blackberries? - No, no. - Mm.
- Plastic cup. - [David] That's right. - [chuckles] Very good.
- But it would take at least a year for you to be able to speak the basics, not fluently, so there's no point. You know, German is one of the most difficult languages in the world to learn, becau
- ♪ On the second day, I brought her a flower ♪ ♪ She was more beautiful than any woman I'd seen ♪ ♪ And I said, "Do you know where the wild roses grow ♪ ♪ So sweet and scarlet and free?" ♪
- - Kiwi? - That's right. 10 out of 10 again.
- I can't thank you enough for all the activities and games and for keeping me company, but you know we can't do that anymore.
- Would you like to play another round of "touch-guess-think-win"? No. That's enough for today.
- In any case, I've run out of things to test you with. Maybe tomorrow... or one of these days. Tomorrow morning? Uh, we'll see.
- How are you? Fine. I'm hungry. You haven't brought me a rabbit for days. Or things for me to touch and guess.
- I've got good news. I've had a great idea. Have you a minute? What kind of idea?
- I raise my left foot. I raise my left foot.
- I bring my elbow to my knee and tap it twice. I bring my foot to my knee and tap it three times. I lie face down. I kneel down. I touch my left cheek... ...and then lie face up.
- Are you sure you're prepared to do that?
- Yes, of course I'm sure. I wouldn't propose it otherwise.
- I can't go much faster. These trousers are too tight. I'm sorry. It was dark and I couldn't see clearly, and I didn't have time to try them on. I'm sorry.
- It was the hotel coach. They didn't see us.
- Would you like me to show you my belly? I-I remember your belly very well.
- Can I have a knife and fork, please? Not a butter knife. A steak knife. Certainly.
- I'm going to do it with a knife. - Do you want me to come with you? - I'd rather you didn't.
- Don't worry. It's strange at first, but then you get used to it. And your other senses are heightened. Touch, for example, and hearing. I know.
Donkey Shooter - Jacqueline Abrahams
Doctor - Roger Ashton-Griffiths
Nosebleed Woman - Jessica Barden
Hotel Manager - Olivia Colman
70 Year Old Waiter - Anthony Dougall
Guard Waiter - Sean Duggan
David - Colin Farrell
Loner Leader's Father - Roland Ferrandi
Bald Man - James Finnegan
Restaurant Waiter - Robert Heaney
David's Wife - Rosanna Hoult
Biscuit Woman - Ashley Jensen
Police Officer 1 - Kathy Kelly
The Maid - Ariane Labed
Trainer Waiter (Shooting Range) - Ewen MacIntosh
Campari Man - Patrick Malone
Arrested Town Woman (as Sandra Mason) - Sandra Hayden Mason
Police Officer 2 - Kevin McCormack
Bandaged Loner - Ishmael Moalosi
30 Year Old Waiter - Anthony Moriarty
Hotel Manager's Partner - Garry Mountaine
Guest Room 104 - Judi King Murphy
New Daughter - Laoise Murphy
Loner Leader's Mother - Imelda Nagle Ryan
Hotel Receptionist - Nancy Onu
Trapped Loner - Matthew O'Brien
Nosebleed Woman's Best Friend - EmmaEdel O'Shea
Heartless Woman - Angeliki Papoulia
Lisping Man - John C. Reilly
Loner Leader - Léa Seydoux
Loner Swimmer - Michael Smiley
Coach Driver Waiter - Chris Threader
Short Sighted Woman - Rachel Weisz
Limping Man - Ben Whishaw
Piano Player - Cian Boylan
Hotel Guest - Clive Dev
Waiter - Degnan Geraghty
Waitress - Heidi Ellen Love
Waitress - Dolores Marren
Waiter - Mark McCormack
Hotel Guest - Stephen Ryan